You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-02 01:08:25

meinhimmel

xf86-input-synaptics 99.1-1

The update to xf86-input-synaptics 99.1-1 breaks something, and no longer recognises tapping or scrolling.

I was unable to diagnose the problem (I'm in English class =P) so I just downgraded to 15.2-1.

For some reason the update was in the extra repositories, instead of testing..

#2 2008-12-02 02:56:13

mcmillan

Re: xf86-input-synaptics 99.1-1

It's related to the new xorg that just moved from testing into extra, from what I can see it's an update that requires some manual tweaking to get everything working. There's lots of threads already with people trying to deal with the issues. I'd give you more specific advice, but after seeing the rash of questions dealing with this update I decided to put off upgrading xorg until after my exam next week.

#3 2008-12-02 03:19:16

sokuban

Re: xf86-input-synaptics 99.1-1

I had the same problem. I found the answer in the wiki.

New xorg disables sidescrolling and tapping by default.

Remove whatever you have in your xorg.conf about synaptics and add this to it. I have the two lines relating to two finger scrolling commented out because you are probbably not used to two finger scrolling if you want sidescrolling. Uncomment them if you see fit.

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "SynapticsTouchpad"
   Driver      "synaptics"
   Option      "AlwaysCore"        "true"  # send events to CorePointer
  #Option      "Device"            "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "Device"            "/dev/psaux"
   Option      "Protocol"          "auto-dev"
   Option      "SHMConfig"         "false" # configurable at runtime? security risk
   Option      "LeftEdge"          "1700"  # x coord left
   Option      "RightEdge"         "5300"  # x coord right
   Option      "TopEdge"           "1700"  # y coord top
   Option      "BottomEdge"        "4200"  # y coord bottom
   Option      "FingerLow"         "25"    # pressure below this level triggers release
   Option      "FingerHigh"        "30"    # pressure above this level triggers touch
   Option      "MaxTapTime"        "180"   # max time in ms for detecting tap
   Option      "VertEdgeScroll"    "true"  # enable vertical scroll zone
   Option      "HorizEdgeScroll"   "true"  # enable horizontal scroll zone
   Option      "CornerCoasting"    "true"  # enable continuous scroll with finger in corner
   Option      "CoastingSpeed"     "0.30"  # corner coasting speed
   Option      "VertScrollDelta"   "100"   # edge-to-edge scroll distance of the vertical scroll
   Option      "HorizScrollDelta"  "100"   # edge-to-edge scroll distance of the horizontal scroll
   Option      "MinSpeed"          "0.10"  # speed factor for low pointer movement
   Option      "MaxSpeed"          "0.60"  # maximum speed factor for fast pointer movement
   Option      "AccelFactor"       "0.0020"    # acceleration factor for normal pointer movements
  #Option      "VertTwoFingerScroll"   "true"    # vertical scroll anywhere with two fingers
  #Option      "HorizTwoFingerScroll"  "true"    # horizontal scroll anywhere with two fingers
   Option      "TapButton1" "1"
   Option      "TapButton2" "2"
   Option      "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

EDIT: Oh yeah, this works for me, but this may not be the smartest way to do it. This post describes an alternate method:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 88#p456488

I'm too lazy to do it, but this method is better since it works with the new hotplug feature in xorg. You could read the wiki page about it if you want.

Last edited by sokuban (2008-12-02 03:24:33)

Board footer