You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-02 11:34:59

SLKDK

Yet another topic about the newly updated Xorg - messing up my system!

Hi all.

Just upgrade today with:

pacman -Syyu

After update, I logged out of X and tried to log back in. But X failed with some error like: Could not parse config file..

X works if I remove the xorg.conf file, BUT I don't have danish keyboard layout anymore, and GLXGEARS only output
294 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.772 FPS

Before I got 1200.000 FPS.

My old xorg.conf file>

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Xorg Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# PS/2 Mouse not detected
# Serial Mouse not detected
        InputDevice    "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "true"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"    
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/PEX"
# Additional fonts: Locale, Gimp, TTF...
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
#    FontPath     "/usr/share/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/75dpi"
#    FontPath     "/usr/share/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/100dpi"
# True type and type1 fonts are also handled via xftlib, see /etc/X11/XftConfig!
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/latex-ttf-fonts"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/defoma/CID"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/defoma/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "glx"
        Load  "bitmap" # bitmap-fonts
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "record"
    #   Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "dk"
    Option "XkbVariant" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Serial Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "auto"
    Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    Option "DPMS" "true"

EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "intel"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    VendorName  "All"
    BoardName   "All"
#  Option         "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
#    Option         "AccelMethod" "EXA"
#Option      "ExaNoComposite" "false"
Option        "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
#Option        "EnablePageFlip" "true"
#Option        "RenderAccel" "true"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Any help? I really need the danish keyboard layout.

#2 2008-12-02 11:45:09

b9anders

Re: Yet another topic about the newly updated Xorg - messing up my system!

#3 2008-12-02 15:33:02

Hrod beraht

Xorg works differently now since hotplugging is enabled by default. See the xorg input hotplugging wiki article for full information on how keyboard configurations are implemented now - or how to turn off hotplugging.

Bob

#4 2008-12-02 16:40:15

BlueFightingCat

How does hotplugging effect rc.conf. If I understood correctly the new hotplugging sets the keymap. So does rc.conf. Which takes precedent. How does the workflow go.

BFC

#5 2008-12-02 17:06:42

mianka

The last updates break X11.To make your xorg.conf work again remove the first line of the section files: "RgbPath=..." !

#6 2008-12-02 18:42:21

b9anders

BlueFightingCat wrote:

How does hotplugging effect rc.conf. If I understood correctly the new hotplugging sets the keymap. So does rc.conf. Which takes precedent. How does the workflow go.

BFC

rc.conf only sets the keymap out of X. X doesn't abide by the keymap set in rc.conf.

#7 2008-12-02 20:36:02

BlueFightingCat

So in theory I doesn't really matter what I put in rc.conf......

BFC

#8 2008-12-03 13:21:17

b9anders

BlueFightingCat wrote:

So in theory I doesn't really matter what I put in rc.conf......

BFC

It matters if you're not using X.

#9 2008-12-03 15:08:02

Bonzodog

The keyboard layout in rc.conf is the one used for the console/virtual terminals. It has no effect on X at all.

I got the xorg update working by doing 3 things:

1) Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, comment out the RgbPath line in the first section. Thats All you should need to do. Find your keyboard layout details in xorg.conf, and make a note of it.

2) Copy /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-input-policy.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy.

3)Edit the file you have just copied and change lines 19 and 20 to reflect your keyboard layout section in xorg.conf. Use your common sense with it, it is set to 'us' by default. I changed that to 'dvorak' and then added 'gb' to the XkbVariant line to reflect the gb layout version of the dvorak keyboard that I use.

Last edited by Bonzodog (2008-12-03 15:13:20)

#10 2008-12-04 12:30:10

rumo

hi bonzodog,

u seem to know how to solve this (at least for me) mess about the keymaps. i have a us keyboard and with the us keymap everything works perfectly. but i also use sometimes a russian phonetic keymap (used to be able to select it under keyboard layouts->usa->russian phonetic) and a swiss german keyboard layout.

first of all i have no idea which keyboard layout corresponds to the russian phonetic one. do u have any ideas? or how could i find out?

i was able to locate the swiss keymap i think its called de_CH-latin1.map.gz. but if i put 'de_CH-latin1' or just 'de_CH' in

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">us</merge>

i doesn't seem to work at all. which means i can switch to the new keymap but its the same as the 'us' one.

any help would be really appreciated!

rumo

#11 2008-12-05 08:26:43

Iketani
Website

I am another victim of this stupid x.org update mad My Thinkpad laptop worked just fine and perfect berore, and now... where should i strat... mad

Ok, since my think pad is x40, it has only trackpoint, so in order to be able to scroll i have to emulate mouse wheel (i press the blue middle mouse button and while holding it, i was able to scroll with moving trackpoint), now it just does not work. Other problem: keyboard layouts! i cannot write in lithuanian language anymore (this is disaster for me, couse my work depends a great deal on this mad
And other problem threre is, now when i press ctrl+alt+backspace X do not restart, leaves my pc hanging, i even have to restart it by taking out the battery!!! well if i am lucky, it drops me to tty1 but i am still unable to get X running, unless i reboot.

I have tried to disable hot pluging, but it did not solve ANYTHING.

So, i am really really mad, becouse i treated Archlinux the best damn operating system there is, which is stable, wokrs just great and does that in a classic "slackware" way, and now i have to take back my words, this is just a disaster!

Here is the question: how do i revert X.org to older version and prevent it from upgrading ever again? or should i go and buy win XP cd?

If music be the food of love, then play on!
Mick Fleetwood

#12 2008-12-05 11:05:53

markc
Website

I haven't tried this but you can look in /var/cache/pacman/pkg to see if you still have the previous xorg system files, force install them, and then add these xorg packages to "IgnorePkg = blah blah" in /etc/pacman.conf. This is just one possible suggestion, as I say, I haven't tried it so I can't supply exact details and don't blame me if the procedure stuffs up.

#13 2008-12-05 15:14:45

zenlord
Website

Iketani wrote:

or should i go and buy win XP cd?

That would probably be the better option.

I mean - have you read any of the above? Have you read the wiki-article referenced to in the pacman-output upon installing the new xorg-server? Come on, man...

Xorg is simply changing the way you have to configure it. It has nothing to do with Archlinux or linux in general.

An arch-user is somenone who is prepared to learn something about linux. That doesn't mean you have to have programmer-skills just to be able to use it, but if you want to have an OS that is on top of things (packages-wise), you have to keep reading up on it. (or you could just skip all updates from now on.)

Just my 0.02€

Zl.

#14 2008-12-05 15:18:23

allbluedream

zenlord wrote:

An arch-user is somenone who is prepared to learn something about linux. That doesn't mean you have to have programmer-skills just to be able to use it, but if you want to have an OS that is on top of things (packages-wise), you have to keep reading up on it. (or you could just skip all updates from now on.)

Skip all updates might actually be a good idea. I often find myself missing Ubuntu... But then again, I always solve the problem in the end, and go on enjoy the Arch experience.:P

#15 2008-12-05 15:35:04

Iketani
Website

zenlord wrote:
Iketani wrote:

or should i go and buy win XP cd?

That would probably be the better option.

I mean - have you read any of the above? Have you read the wiki-article referenced to in the pacman-output upon installing the new xorg-server? Come on, man...

Xorg is simply changing the way you have to configure it. It has nothing to do with Archlinux or linux in general.

Just my 0.02€

Zl.

Yes, i did read the news, the wiki, tried everything i know and all advises i got from friends, irc, wiki, forums, and nothing helps, like tried to turn off hotpluging, and notheng changed, then removed my old xorg.conf, generated new one, still no luck, tried to configure it new way (fdi rules), did all good, atleast xorg log says that my configuration is correct and it loads all that, but still in reality nothing works, arrows on keyboard does not work, mouse wheel emulation on trackpoint does not work, and ctrl+alt+backspace leaves my laptop crashed, i need to remove battery in order to shut it down, then i turn it on and i loose my data! like documents, bookmarks important stuff. OMG ok ok i found out, that there might be a bug or two in xf86-input-evdev, i try to get newer from AUR but it does not compile mad LAST RESORT: downgrading to older version should help yes? NO it only makes lot more problems to me. And for the starters before this upgrade my laptop was working just perfect and the way I liked, and now...

So i blame it to inresponsible ppl who put this crap in to stable repo!! omg i just do not understand the logic, if older stuff was working just fine, why do you need to change it with new, crappy product that offers new features which you have to turn off in order to use you pc???

Mick Fleetwood

#16 2008-12-05 15:51:33

bgc1954

Iketani wrote:
So i blame it to inresponsible ppl who put this crap in to stable repo!! omg i just do not understand the logic, if older stuff was working just fine, why do you need to change it with new, crappy product that offers new features which you have to turn off in order to use you pc???

No sense in trying to asign blame.  Arch is what it is and many people, including myself, like it that way.  Also please note that alot of people are having problems with the new xorg but most finally get it working after doing some research, so you can't generalize that it is "crappy".  Maybe try my xorg.conf mouse section that I posted here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=60102 and turn off hotplugging as that has solved it for alot of people. smile

Edit:  And as far as having to turn off new features, that applies to SOME people who can't get the new feature to work or who don't want to spend the extra time to figure out how to make it work properly.  It is, after all, your choice of what to do or how to do it with any linux distro.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-12-05 16:59:36)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#17 2008-12-05 16:53:47

zenlord
Website

Iketani wrote:

So i blame it to inresponsible ppl ...

In none of the above posts I have seen you refer to your logs. What do your logs tell you that is wrong?
When I upgraded my xorg the day before yesterday, I did everything that I had found in the wiki. Upon reboot, X didn't start and my logs told me that there was a problem with the RgbPath-line in my xorg.conf. Commenting out that line was enough to get it going again.

What WM or DE are you using? I didn't need to do it, but in Gnome or KDE you have to set your keyboard to 'evdev-managed keyboard' in order to get some keys working again.

Your posts reveal about you that you don't want a solution. You just want to be angry and blame other people instead of yourself. And please don't insult people for voluntarily providing you with a free operating system. I believe that they know very well what they are doing and I have yet to be let down by the arch-devs.

Zl.

#18 2008-12-05 20:11:14

dunc

Iketani wrote:

So i blame it to inresponsible ppl who put this crap in to stable repo!!

It's in [extra]. There is no stable Arch repo.

While Arch isn't avowedly "bleeding edge" (as I've seen some journalists call it) its rolling release system means that updates will break your system if you aren't careful. I don't want to sound rude, but if you want "stable" maybe Arch isn't for you.

0 Ok, 0:1

#19 2008-12-05 20:19:42

Iketani
Website

If you would read carefully, you would see that, i really put alot of efort to make it work, simple user would not research even half that long like i did. And why can't i put some criticism? just becouse it's open source and i get it for free, does not give right to do inresponsible things like this, couse many people like to use their computer instead of wasting time trying to fix it. And some ppl like myself, really depend on their system, so they use linux couse of (now incorect) common sense, that linux is stable, while IT IS NOT!!!

Mick Fleetwood

#20 2008-12-05 22:08:06

dcouch

Well, I also was one of those whose boxen was laid low by the menace of new exciting packages.  To be honest, I am a sloppy pacman user, permissive as all get out--I'll pacman -Syu without a second thought and say 'SURE' when it tells me I am sailing off into the abyss of no return.  So, my graphical pretties were not there, hidden beneath a tangle of newfangled X.  THe beautiful thing in my mind about it?  I didn't feel like really researching what was happening at the time, so I used nano to word process, did a links search for CLI mp3 players, toyed around with elinks, and basically had  a grand old time brushing up on my command line skillz.  I had to drudge waay back to my Debain days of mounting everything from the CLI.  It's what I love about Arch, or really any flavor of Linux.  There are a lot of different takes on Linux--some distros are simply trying to be a windows replacement, others want you to emacs everything and spit on X.  Some simply tick quietly away in your DSL modem.  I simply decided to go the way my box was asking me to go at the moment and create my own sunshine.  If that is too much for you, DONT PANIC!  Perhaps it is best that you find a different solution for your hardware (especially if you rely heavily on it for work-related things).  Ubuntu is good, so is Fedora, Suse, Mandriva etc etc.   Or, sell your soul to the Deebil and grab that XP SP2 cd off the naughty torrent site.  In the grand scheme, no one will think less or more of you.

I did get my pretties back.  I simply cleaned out my /etc/X11/XF86Config and xorg.conf files, did an nvidia-xconfigure or two, rebooted and profit!  Of course, I have a plain jane vanilla 'Merican keybored, but when I did get done mucking about with the virtual terminals, I was overwhelmed by all the info (and success, I amy add) that all these great Archies had posted to clear the muddled waters of progress.

dd if=/dev/rant of=/dev/null

cheers!

#21 2008-12-06 01:39:03

Iketani
Website

Well, since you pu it in this nice way... and i had some cool down time with beer and other archers, i gues i have to agree smile if this would happen on sunday or saturday morning  i would not have posted any of this and quetly tried to fix my system, since i do get a bit angry, when such things happens when i need my laptop the most sad Well, i will give it another try, maybe i'll see some results, atleast i know now, that it is xf86-input-evdev driver who made whole mess for me, so only need to compile newer one or wait till i could pacman it smile

P.S.
Sorry all for being rude, but still it would be nice if packages like this would get some more testing time before they are made available to the masses smile

Mick Fleetwood

Board footer