You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-02 18:09:12

chris_ak

Firefox High CPU

Firefox is pushing me to 100% cpu usage all of a sudden.  I believe it has something to do with flash.  This is occuring even when I'm viewing pages relatively lite on flash usage.  Anyone else having a similar problem?  I'm using epiphany right now, but I miss vimperator!  I know I've seen threads like this before, but I can't seem to find them right now.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:  One more thing.  Epiphany seems to work just fine, even on flash pages.  Firefox becomes basically so sluggish that it's unusable.  So I'd say it's definitely more of a firefox problem than flash.

Last edited by chris_ak (2008-12-02 18:40:09)

#2 2008-12-02 21:01:13

mhd

Re: Firefox High CPU

I've got similar problems with conkeror, so it might be a xulrunner issue. Removing my cache/settings directory (~/.conkeror.mozdev.org) helps.

Maybe you could get an official firefox build, i.e. one that isn't built as a xulrunner application. Or try your hand with a recent nightly build.

#3 2008-12-06 03:41:30

chris_ak

mhd wrote:

I've got similar problems with conkeror, so it might be a xulrunner issue. Removing my cache/settings directory (~/.conkeror.mozdev.org) helps.

Maybe you could get an official firefox build, i.e. one that isn't built as a xulrunner application. Or try your hand with a recent nightly build.

Yeah, I don't know.  I was hoping more people were having the problem.  I really wanted to blame the xorg update somehow haha, but no dice I guess.  Flash does seem to be a major culprit, but it's much more intense with firefox.  I'm going to struggle through it though because I hate not using vimperator.

#4 2008-12-06 04:17:01

alienjeff
Website

Running most recent pacman-supplied FF3 and Flash under JWM. No such problems, even with frequently starting 17 tabs. FYI, using HP Kayak w/dual 800-MHz Pentium IIIs and 1g RAM.

hangout: ##arch-ftw on irc.freenode.net and sometimes irc.nuxxor.com
diversion: http://alienjeff.net - visit The Fringe
quote: "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker

Board footer