You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-02 20:56:22

Newnux

Won't start up following an update.

I've now posted this in Kernel and Hardware issues, where it can be found here.

Hello,

I've been running Arch on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop for about 2 weeks now without a single issue.  I had an encrypted drive setup with pm-utils working and not much else worth mentioning.

Today I updated with a pacman -Syu.  I do not recall all of the updated packages, but since a reboot I have not been able to get back on.  I shall attempt to copy as much of the error text as possible.  A lot of hex is involved, which I doubt is entirely relevant, so I'll leave most of this out.  One more thing worth noting is that I was bringing the laptop out of hibernation and there had been no problems until after entering my LUKS passphrase.  All that is below followed:

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000000
IP: [<c01b204c>] __bio_clone+0x2c/0x80
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 002 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Modules linked in: aes_i586 aes_generic xts gf128mul dm_crypt dm_mod crypto_blkcipher sr_mod cdrom sd_mod uhci_hcd ehci_hcd usbcore ata_piix ahci ata_generic pata_acpi libata scsi_mod dock

Pid: 720, comm: vol_id Not tainted (2.6.27-ARCH #1)
EIP: 0060:[<c01b204c>] EFLAGS: 00010206 CPU: 0
EIP is at __bio_clone+0x2c/0x80
EAX: // Bunch of hex
ESI: // Bunch of hex
 DS: // Hex...
Process vol_id (pid: 720) // hex
Stack: // Numbers, numbers, everywhere.
Call Trace:
 // Might the contents of the call trace be relevant?  It'd kill me to type out, but I'll do it if necessary.
Code: // as above
EIP: [<c01b204c>] __bio_clone+0x2c/0x80 SS:ESP 0068:f7057be8
--[ end trace ]---

Now, naturally I've skipped a lot of the nitty-gritty details, but I'm sure anyone would imagine why.  I did try to take a picture of the screen, but I've not been able to get it to come out remotely clear.  Also, I'm completely unable to do anything on the computer itself--I think my button mashing gets something to time out after 180 seconds sometimes, which allows me a ctrl+alt+delete reboot at most; failing that, it's a hardware reboot.

I use this laptop for study, so it's imperative that I get it back up and running ASAP.  I also have a lot of work on this computer which I cannot afford to lose.

Help very much appreciated--I'm not computer illiterate, but this is far beyond my ability.

Last edited by Newnux (2008-12-03 15:56:09)

Board footer