You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-03 08:21:06

BlueFightingCat

Motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my motherboard. I've got a new motherboard and CPU. Preferably I would want to avoid re-installing everything.  I currently run Windows XP (only to play flight simulator) and Arch.

I've heard Windows should be able to handle the upgrade as long as I use the install CD to repair the installation.

I've also read that Arch should have no major problems and essential don't require any changes. Is this correct?

Also if i run the Windows repair would this destroy my GRUB?

Any advices or experiences would be much appreciated.

BFC

#2 2008-12-03 09:13:16

MoonSwan

Re: Motherboard upgrade

Arch shouldn't flinch.  XP though will hate you and yes it shouldn't reinstall the MBR (Never tried this myself).  If it does, reinstalling grub isn't difficult.

#3 2008-12-03 15:43:10

Inkaine

Re: Motherboard upgrade

I did that procedure a couple months ago. Windows didn't want to work without reinstalling (btw, I got it for the same single reason as you do big_smile ), Ubuntu survived the switch flawlessly. And so will Arch as long as you use the generic kernel.

I personally didn't mind reinstalling Windows as I also got me a SATA drive and wanted to use the old IDE as backup only anways. Reinstalling FS with all addons can be a pain though I know. Still I would rather do that than running it on an instable Windows installation because of conflicting controller drivers and stuff. So my hint: take the hard way and rather reinstall Windows than just repairing it. (And keep an Arch installation medium for reinstallation of grub afterwards.)

EDIT: Fixed typo which made a sentence senseless

Last edited by Inkaine (2008-12-03 15:45:27)

Board footer