You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-03 23:15:07

tsv
Website

PulseAudio error - Unsupported format

Hi,

I've just installed Arch and am trying to set up PulseAudio. I have followed the guide on the wiki but am getting no audio. When I run VLC from the command line I can see the error

ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:693:(pulse_hw_params) PulseAudio: Unsupported format FLOAT_LE

Quod Libet (currently the only other audio player I have installed) also produces no output, nor any errors.

Searching has so far got me nowhere, your help is appreciated!

edit: forgot to mention, I also get the error

W: ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to find original dlopen loader.

when starting the PulseAudio daemon, but from what I've read that's a harmless error.

Last edited by tsv (2008-12-03 23:50:19)

#2 2008-12-13 12:32:40

bhadotia

Re: PulseAudio error - Unsupported format

tsv wrote:

Hi,

I've just installed Arch and am trying to set up PulseAudio. I have followed the guide on the wiki but am getting no audio. When I run VLC from the command line I can see the error

ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:693:(pulse_hw_params) PulseAudio: Unsupported format FLOAT_LE

Quod Libet (currently the only other audio player I have installed) also produces no output, nor any errors.

Searching has so far got me nowhere, your help is appreciated!

edit: forgot to mention, I also get the error

when starting the PulseAudio daemon, but from what I've read that's a harmless error.

I have the same (almost) problem. Although, I get sound in vlc, I'm not getting any sound in exaile or rhythmbox.
I followed the pulse audio article on the arch wiki (here).
I have added both pulseaudio and avahi-daemon to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf.
And I get the same error as OP when I start pulseaudio, i.e.,

/etc/rc.d/pulseaudio restart
:: Stopping PulseAudio                                                                       [DONE] 
:: Starting PulseAudio                                                                       [BUSY] 
                                                                                             [DONE]

#3 2008-12-14 01:12:24

setti

exactly the same problem here sad
No one any idea?

#4 2008-12-14 11:25:10

bhadotia

Just read  the wiki again and reinstalled pulse and reconfigured it and it is working now:P:D

#5 2008-12-15 21:48:53

setti

without that error when starting the daemon?

#6 2008-12-15 22:40:38

SyXbiT
Website

i have the same error
problems with both avahi and pulse daemons

#7 2008-12-16 21:06:02

bhadotia

tsv wrote:

but from what I've read that's a harmless error.

Actually that seems to be harmless as said by tsv, because I still get the same error (I can see it in the boot messages at start-up as I added the pulseaudio daemon to rc.conf) but can also get the sound now (which was not the case before tongue).
And the avahi is required only if you want to share your sound card over the network, you can get sound on the local machine even without avahi running (but I still dd it to the DAEMONS array, coz who knows someday I might as well want to experiment with sharing sound card over network cool)

Last edited by bhadotia (2008-12-16 21:08:49)

#8 2009-01-01 11:53:08

bhadotia

setti wrote:

without that error when starting the daemon?

SyXbiT wrote:

i have the same error
problems with both avahi and pulse daemons

I don't even get that error now. And pulse works just fine when used as a drop-in replacement for the ESD (as explained in the first part of the PulseAudio wiki). But when I tried to use pulse with alsa  (look here), I don't get any sound. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I didn't configure pulse with alsa the first time(going with what my ubuntu does).
So if you people are also having the problem of no sound with pulse,try removing the /etc/asound.conf and use just try replacing /usr/bin/esd with a link to /usr/bin/esdcompat to use pulse as a replacement for esd (here) and see if that works. This is what my ubuntu does (which has pulse by default)- it does not have any /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc and just has /usr/bin/esd -> /usr/bin/esdcompat.
Good luck!:D

Last edited by bhadotia (2010-12-10 11:08:19)

Board footer