You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-04 07:09:56

Eldomir

No suspend/hibernate after update

Yesterday I updated to the new xorg on my laptop. I expected all kinds of problems but everything went --almost-- perfectly fine with a minimal xorg.conf to load the fglrx module for my graphics card. However, there is one issue which I think might be related to the new xorg, since everything was ok before I updated it (although other packages were updated at the same time, like the kernel, so this might be unrelated).

I use gnome and the suspend/hibernate buttons are gone. Yes, I am in the 'power' group and they existed before. Nor does it work if I close the lid (which also worked before), sometimes nothing happens, sometimes the speakers make a strange beeping noise for a little while, like an alarm, then nothing happens.

I don't think it's too relevant, but it's a Sony Vaio VGN-FW21J. I don't even know where to start looking, and someone else mentioned having this same problem and solving it in another thread, but not how it was solved, so I thought I'd ask. If there's any more info I can provide, just tell me what smile

#2 2008-12-04 07:19:25

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: No suspend/hibernate after update

A configuration file was moved from policykit to hal.  But only the hal in [testing].  It should work again once that gets moved to [extra].  In the meantime, I think it is safe to manually download the [testing] hal package from a mirror and manually install it.

#3 2008-12-04 11:14:00

alessandro_ufms

#4 2008-12-04 11:24:55

Eldomir

Thanks both, I tried changing PolicyKit.conf manually according to the instructions in the other thread, and the buttons show up and some sort of "suspend" takes place, but it's not working properly. The screen is blanked, but doesn't go off, and the computer doesn't go back from sleep no matter what I try (things that didn't happen before, everything worked fine). I guess I'll wait until the new hal goes stable and just turn the computer off when I need to until then... and hope that with the new hal things will go back to working properly.

#5 2008-12-04 12:25:42

Diaz

same problem, it kinda starts to suspend, but comes back to gdm after a couple of seconds. Just that i changed from the catalyst driver to radeonhd.

#6 2008-12-15 22:59:02

ArchArael

I noticed that my laptop stopped to suspend with closed lid so I checked on the forum and found this thread.

Allan wrote:

A configuration file was moved from policykit to hal.  But only the hal in [testing].  It should work again once that gets moved to [extra].  In the meantime, I think it is safe to manually download the [testing] hal package from a mirror and manually install it.

I tried that and no luck. Before the updates it worked. I always used laptop-mode tools and acpi on my openbox setup. But now when I close the lid my laptop doesn't suspend anymore. I'm still able to suspend from console though. Any hint? It seems to me that laptop-mode tools have stopped working. That's strange because I didn't change the configuration.
By the way...everything else is working fine. When my battery reaches 3% of power the system hibernates automatically. :S

Last edited by ArchArael (2008-12-15 23:00:58)

#7 2008-12-15 23:16:36

alessandro_ufms

Guys, the developers are working in this bug. Check this thread: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11851

#8 2008-12-16 08:23:00

ArchArael

alessandro_ufms wrote:

Guys, the developers are working in this bug. Check this thread: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11851

I know...but in my case is not just Gnome. I don't use gnome-power-manager. Is this still the same problem?

#9 2008-12-16 10:47:19

MindTooth

This is also an issue with XFCE. I got removed from the group shutdown. Now I am using the testing HAL.

Birger smile

Board footer