You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-05 03:51:03

Ranguvar

[SOLVED] New X troubles - graphical glitches, etc.

Hi!

After a brief stint with Funtoo, I installed Arch again, from FTP, so I got the new X.Org right from the start. Did some basic set-up, and I installed xorg, the nvidia drivers, hal, etc.

Well, X isn't working that well tongue I heard that X now had capable auto-detection of most stuff, and to try without a config file, so I did. Unfortunately, X insisted on using the vesa driver instead of the nvidia one. If the vesa one was uninstalled, I'd just get a black screen, IIRC. Also, note, it had an error related to MTRR. So, I did what I usually do, 'hwd -xa' and customize. Well, I got a working config (just had to remove RgbPath), but there's some graphical glitches with the nvidia drivers. Using the vesa drivers, there are no glitches. scrot does not capture the glitches at all. The screen is also a little bit pushed up above the top of my display, yet oddly there is no black border at the bottom. Again, scrot shows a perfect image.

The graphical glitches consist of a purplish vibration flicker (funnily enough, this looks suspiciously like a vertical gear, with ones lying down to the right of it) halfway between the middle and bottom of my monitor vertically, and near the left edge. Right next to it is a long line to the right and slightly down of non-colored flickering and tearing. The glitches are always in the same place relative to the monitor.

It should be noted that my 'monitor' is a tiny piece of junk Magnavox HDTV. It's already enough of a challenge getting the stupid thing to sync properly to my PC's output without borders, etc. My graphics card is a GeForce 9600GT.

Here's my Xorg log from using nvidia and from using vesa, and my Xorg config.

Please help! Thanks very much smile

Last edited by Ranguvar (2008-12-07 01:39:27)

#2 2008-12-05 15:22:49

zenlord
Website

Re: [SOLVED] New X troubles - graphical glitches, etc.

In the nvidia xorg.log I see an entry stating that there is no screen capable of the 1280x768-resolution. Didn't you mean 1280x800, which is a common widescreen-res? This could probably mean that your screen is pushed up or is showing some black horizontal border of 32pix...

Furthermore, it could be driver-related... Did you try the opensource nv-driver yet?

Zl.

#3 2008-12-05 19:14:15

Ranguvar

Re: [SOLVED] New X troubles - graphical glitches, etc.

My display is definitely 1280x768, I know that much. I will try 1280x800 and 1280x720 to see if that fixes anything, but they will probably result in stretching.

The vesa driver works great, except (obviously) no hardware acceleration. The nv driver and nouveau drivers don't seem to work - I don't think they've ever worked for me. The latter I know has no official support for the 9-series.

Again, this same config worked perfectly with X.Org 1.4, prior to the reinstall sad

Thanks anyways!

EDIT: Okay... odd. The display is now fixed. Same config, same everything. Never even tried other resolutions. Both the glitches and the screen fit. Whatever, I'm not complaining big_smile

EDIT 2: It's back.

EDIT 3: For anyone with a similar problem, I fixed it completely by using nvidia-xconfig, adding the Files section from my hwd-configured .conf, and adding "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes" to the Device section  to stop the black screen of death.

Last edited by Ranguvar (2008-12-07 01:42:29)

Board footer