You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-07 08:36:13

ssl6

fsck help?

i've been having issues mounting my usb key, i noticed the problem this morning, if i run dolphin as root and click on the usb drive it mounts fine. im wondering if its something to do with the version of hal i have from testing?

the other thing i wondered, since just got home from a friends fixing his system, everytime windows rebooted it wanted to check my flash drive.

so now im trying to run fsck on it, to see if maybe thats why its not mounting for me as a user, but i get this

[urmom@urmom-pc amarok-svn]$ sudo fsck.vfat -a /dev/sdh
dosfsck 3.0.1, 23 Nov 2008, FAT32, LFN
Currently, only 1 or 2 FATs are supported, not 192.

is there something im doing wrong here? can someone shed some light. if i try googling fsck and fat32 everything in the world comes up, its hard to find something useful, im sure its something dumb and ill bang my head on the desk when i figure it out. the other thing, its a 16gb flash drive, if that makes a difference

this is a signature

#2 2008-12-07 09:42:28

MoonSwan

Re: fsck help?

Fat & VFat can only see a file that takes up to 2gb max of storeage space.  Anything higher and it will spit out very odd errors (they seem random, took me almost 3 days to figure this one out on my own system).  So its likely you have a file on there that is 2gb in size or larger, though on thinking about it I don't see how you could get a file on there that is that large to begin with.  Whenever I tried to toss a 4gb file on my fat32 partition, it just spit up errors & failed.

The other possibility is that there is some weird hidden size limit for straight FAT16 fs's and your usb key is in fat16 format instead of vfat.  AFAIK all usb keys come pre-formatted with only the original fat16 filesystem and if you've never reformmated it, that could be part of the issue.

#3 2008-12-07 09:48:03

ssl6

it was mounting fine the other day though, i've been using it. just today i noticed it wouldn't mount. and then on the windows machine it kept wanting to do a filesystem check saying there was something corrupted. thats why im wondering about that

as far as the 2gb thing, i cant think of anything that would be on it thats larger than 2 gb

this is a signature

#4 2008-12-07 21:38:23

ssl6

ok, well it seems i can't mount anything. is there some configuration that i need to do with the testing version of hal? because its not working for me. im trying to use an sd card right now to put a song on my friends phone. i can mount it running dolphin as root, but cant copy to it

this is a signature

Board footer