You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-07 21:49:00

capnmoney
Website

[Solved]Translucent Conky through transset?

So I'd like to set up conky to have a translucent background, like in this screenshot

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … setwj2.jpg

My solution thus far was starting transset through autostart.sh and then clicking on conky to make it transparent.  There has to be a better way to do this, but I've not come across a setting in conky that lets me do it.  I'm also running a script to change my background, so editing all the walls I have isn't an easy solution.  Is there a way to get transset to automatically set a window's transparency or does anyone have a better solution?

Thanks

Last edited by capnmoney (2008-12-08 00:43:32)

#2 2008-12-07 22:25:37

sand_man

Re: [Solved]Translucent Conky through transset?

I'm sure you can use transset to set transparency by WM_CLASS name.
Does transset have a man page?

neutral

#3 2008-12-07 22:36:28

capnmoney
Website

It doesn't.  The only place I could see any real info was the Arch wiki under the xcompmgr entry.

#4 2008-12-07 23:47:52

moljac024

transset-df is what you're looking for, it's in the repos.
It can set by wm_name

pacman -Sy transset-df

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-12-08 00:43:10

capnmoney
Website

Awesome, thanks everybody.

Without any man page, it took a while to figure out what arguments transset-df needs, so here it is if anyone needs it:

transset-df -n Conky .6

#6 2008-12-08 00:44:44

moljac024

capnmoney wrote:

Awesome, thanks everybody.

Without any man page, it took a while to figure out what arguments transset-df needs, so here it is if anyone needs it:

transset-df -n Conky .6

You realize that every app in existence prints out usage info if you start it with -h, --help or -help ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#7 2008-12-08 01:45:54

capnmoney
Website

As you have deduced I'm not the most experienced user.  I guessed at it three or four times before using -h.  I find myself at a stage where the right command always seems to be on the tip of my tongue, and then after I figure it out, it was in front of my face the whole time.  A couple more weeks with Arch and I might actually know what I'm doing:)

#8 2008-12-08 19:10:35

dunc

moljac024 wrote:

You realize that every app in existence prints out usage info if you start it with -h, --help or -help ?

Completely OT, but that's another thing I miss about AmigaOS: "foo ?" printed out the arguments "foo" expected, and what type (string, integer, switch...) they should be, even if the coder hadn't bothered to include a help option. In *nix, "-h" or "--help" has to be explicitly coded, and some things don't have it. More than three years on, I still find myself typing things like "transset-df ?" by mistake.

I'll shut up now. I'm just hacked off because I could have answered the OP's question, but you lot got in before me. tongue

0 Ok, 0:1

Board footer