You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-08 00:59:05

piete

Pacman improvement suggestion - total loading time

Hi! Sorry if this issue has already been dealed but I couldn't find it at least with the forum's search function and this section gets so many messages every day that I couldn't browse too far. And at least it is not yet implemented in pacman wink

Anyway, I'm new to Arch with most of my previous linux experience with Debian/Ubuntu. I did not have any problems starting using pacman after apt, but I read the Arch vs. Debian posts on both forums and somebody mentioned (don't remember which forum) that pacman only shows the expected loading time for individual packages and not the total loading time.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this to pacman, but I'm sure people would find it quite useful since normally we download more than one package. Plus it would take one argument away from Debian fanboys wink

I'm generally really pleased with Arch, I have had it only a few days and already learned a lot. It is still good that "easier" distros exist for beginners, but KISS philosophy suits me and I'm ready to enter a totally new level of linux experience.

#2 2008-12-08 02:08:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Pacman improvement suggestion - total loading time

"man pacman.conf" and look at TotalDownload

#3 2008-12-08 02:21:22

piete

Well that was a quick implementation! smile I guess I should read the manuals a bit better, since the pacman man page already said that the pacman.conf manual existed, I had totally overlooked it. Sorry to bother, lesson learned. Anyway, thanks for pointing out the right place!

#4 2008-12-08 03:10:16

toofishes
Developer
Website

Yeah, we believe in man pages a lot more here than most distros, so you will find most of our internal tools well-documented in the man pages. See man PKGBUILD, makepkg, makepkg.conf, pacman, pacman.conf, and repo-add.

#5 2008-12-08 11:51:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Powerpill not only displays the ETA by default, it also reduces it significantly wink

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer