You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-08 01:46:25

Viral

Keyboard volume wheel

I've got a volume wheel on the upper right of my keyboard that I'm trying to get to work. It worked just fine before without me having done anything special, but after I uninstalled some packages that depended on libgl (any opengl program was causing my x server to crash, a person on the IRC channel recommended that I remove that and it's dependants (though it's possible I misunderstood)). anyway,

note: I normally use fluxbox
The volume control no longer works. I run showkey and I can get the keycodes (114, 115) to lower and raise volume. I created a .Xmodmap file containing:

keycode 115 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 114 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 113 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 163 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 164 = XF86AudioPause
keycode 165 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 166 = XF86AudioStop

and ran xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap. I also placed that in my .xprofile file, as according to the instructions found on the wiki, here and here. It seems to have no effect

i also tried keytouch, but there were some weird errors I didn't understand. apparently it didn't see my special key events coming from any event devices under /dev/input. I don't really get that

When I went in to GNOME, it offered to load my .Xmodmap setup, and when I did, volume control was just fine. Unfortunately, it did not do this again after I rebooted.
In GNOME and KDE the keys are known as XF86AudioLower and Raise, so it seems that maybe it's not that the keybindings are wrong, but that the applications are just not responding to them. In this case, how would I fix that?

Thank you

"You want to be healed, now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?" --Nathan Rahl

#2 2008-12-08 02:37:34

SamC
Website

Re: Keyboard volume wheel

You should try using xbindkeys to map it to amixer commands.

Board footer