You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-08 18:25:00

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

pip pkbguild

I found a useful little application through random googling.  It is called Pip: http://membled.com/work/apps/pip/

It wraps any program which requires files for IO and makes the app appear to use stdio.  Very good for some convoluted applications which fail using /dev/stdin as an input.  It is not in the AUR, and does not seem to have been mentioned on the forums.  Writing a PKGBUILD was pretty simple and it seems to have installed okay.

Any TUs interested?  My rough build is at
http://kmkeen.com/tmp/pip/PKGBUILD

#2 2008-12-08 19:55:57

Stefan Husmann

Re: pip pkbguild

You do not need a TU to upload the PKGBUILD to AUR. Everyone can do that.

But please do not use "Maintainer", use "Contributor" instead, and remove the empty optdepends line. Furthermore you should check if you really need the file /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/perllocal.pod. If so, please add a line conflicts=('graphicsmagick'), because graphicsmagick also owns that file.

Thank you for contributing.

Last edited by Stefan Husmann (2008-12-08 19:57:03)

#3 2008-12-08 20:31:53

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Stefan Husmann wrote:

Furthermore you should check if you really need the file /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/perllocal.pod. If so, please add a line conflicts=('graphicsmagick'), because graphicsmagick also owns that file.

Thanks for catching that!  Is there some easy way to automatically test a PKGBUILD against all of the established packages in the ABS?

The file seems to be a list of installed perl packages.  Other PKGBUILDs in the forum seem to always delete this file, along with packlist.  It does not appear to be needed for Pip.

How does this look:

# Contributor: k keen <keenerd@gmail.com>

pkgname=pip
pkgver=1.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Trick any CLI app into using stdio pipes.  Includes special modes for LaTeX."
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://membled.com/work/apps/pip/"
depends=('perl')
makedepends=('perl')
license=('GPL')
source=(http://membled.com/work/apps/pip/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('25b9a9dc0d659bfabf6a528bb27ec8e6')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  perl Makefile.PL
  make test || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install

# remove perllocal.pod and .packlist
  find ${startdir}/pkg -name perllocal.pod -delete
  find ${startdir}/pkg -name .packlist -delete
}

Last edited by keenerd (2008-12-08 20:32:40)

#4 2008-12-08 21:35:40

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yes, we delete that file on Arch. See /usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-perl.proto.

#5 2008-12-08 21:47:18

Stefan Husmann

There is no method that can test in all consequences against all packages in abs, but sometimes, and also in this case, namcap gives valuable hints.

#6 2008-12-08 22:29:38

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

No way at all?  A grep through /var/lib/pacman/local/*/files was the first thing to come to mind.  If you had shell access to a repository mirror, you could crawl through every pkg file and build a master file list.

Small user, big ideas.  The utility probably wouldn't be worth the overhead.

namcap gives valuable hints.

First version of pip package, yes.  Now it just says that I should have kept the Maintainer tag and that perl is not a dep (huh?).

Reading over the documentation for namcap, I am dissapointed it does not have a check for "man page: see info page".  Nothing is more infurating when away from the internet.

Last edited by keenerd (2008-12-08 22:42:08)

#7 2008-12-08 23:26:21

Stefan Husmann

Okay, its not always true, but sometimes, especially if you have compiled stuff, namcap is really worth its money. smile

Reading over the documentation for namcap, I am dissapointed it does not have a check for "man page: see info page".  Nothing is more infurating when away from the internet.

Good idea! Maybe worth a package request.

Board footer