You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-10 00:37:24

flintmecha

[UNSOLVED] Thinkpad T400 reboot freeze & hard drive init error

Okay, this is REALLY weird.

Whenever I do a reboot in Arch (regardless of method, whether it is via the command line or GNOME menu) when my Thinkpad gets to the Thinkpad splash screen (which is BEFORE GRUB) it totally hangs, just sitting there. It sits for a couple minutes and then the splash screen goes away and i'm left with just a black screen. Then, after about 20 seconds of black screen, the thinkpad goes BEEP BEEP BEEP and I get:

ERROR
2100: HDD0 (Hard disk drive) initialization error (4)

Press <ESC> to continue

I am forced to do a hard reset (hold down the power button for a few seconds to shut it off, then press it to turn it back on. The Thinkpad boots up just fine!

Also if I do a plain shut down from Arch (ie poweroff) then when I power it back on, it works just fine.

The problem ONLY occurrs when I do a reboot.

What could the problem be?

Last edited by flintmecha (2009-02-25 16:42:06)

#2 2008-12-23 12:18:37

flintmecha

Re: [UNSOLVED] Thinkpad T400 reboot freeze & hard drive init error

sad nothing?

Is there any other additional info I can provide that would make this easier to troubleshoot/solve?

#3 2009-02-25 16:40:05

flintmecha

This is still happening... but I think I've noticed some things.

I think what the problem is, and I'm sure this'll sound retarded, is Arch is restarting "too quickly". I say this because there are some times when reboot works properly. When this happens, I notice all of the hardware shut completely down for about a second. I hear sort of a "click" indicating to me that discs have stopped and power is off, like the very last sound you hear when you completely shut down a computer. Instead of a blank screen, I can tell the monitor is completely shut off. After about a second of this, everything comes back on, the Thinkpad splash screen appears, and then goes away and I am taken to GRUB. Everything is peachy.

When the reboot fails to work properly, however, I don't get that total shutdown "feeling".. no click sound, and my screen just goes blank, but not totally off. The Thinkpad splash screen reappears sooner, but this is where I hang and eventually get the error I reported in the original post.

I hope this additional info helps, as this problem is really annoying.

#4 2009-02-26 13:23:50

davvil

I have a T500, which, as far as I know has very similar hardware to the T400. I do not have any issues when rebooting. Maybe it is a hardware problem with your laptop?

Board footer