You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-10 21:59:14

cucullus

external hdd doesn't detects from cold start

My external (USB) hdd Transcend 250Gb doesn't detects if it was plugged before I turn on my system (not shown by lsusb). It detects and mounts fine if hotplugged.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 152d:2329 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.

who's guilty? hal? or myself? ;)

#2 2008-12-26 15:33:11

dav7

Re: external hdd doesn't detects from cold start

It might be HAL - I have a CRT that has a USB port on the back (...for a mouse, so you can point-and-click to control its OSD, wow), and I wanted to see if I could use its appearance/disappearance (aka when I switch the entire CRT on/off) to control stuff, such as my other CRTs. That hasn't happened yet but I've found I have the same sort of issue: the kernel never notices the display if the kernel boots after the display is plugged in, but HAL (and dmesg) both exhibit signs of activity when I hotplug the display with the system up.

So I, too, am looking for an answer. tongue

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-12-27 15:58:22

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: external hdd doesn't detects from cold start

cucullus wrote:

My external (USB) hdd Transcend 250Gb doesn't detects if it was plugged before I turn on my system (not shown by lsusb). It detects and mounts fine if hotplugged.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 152d:2329 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.

who's guilty? hal? or myself? wink

Maybe neither, I believe some motherboards have a buggy bios that can't initialize usb devices during boot properly (some devices at least) and then things will fail latter on. Try to look for a bios update or google for some other people with the same problem.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer