You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-11 00:22:29

clodhopper

[Solved]Freeze using flash in Firefox / Seamonkey or in Tuxracer.

Hi,anyone know how to sort this problem ? .

Updated the graphics and sound cards sometime ago and get the occasional freeze with certain apps;

I can use Tuxracer or flash media on Youtube for;

less than 3 minutes using the 4x Radeon 7000 graphics card and 4-1 C-media 8738 sound card.
about 10 minutes if i revert the sound back to the onboard chip but retain the radeon graphics.
constantly,ie no problem with flash media,if i revert the graphics back to the SiS onboard graphics but then Tuxracer will only run at 4fps as of no acceleration from the sis driver.

When i do get a freeze this machine seems not to respond to anything.The screen will not change and ctrl+alt+backspace has no affect.The keyboard is in fact working though and successive ctrl+alt+delete will shut at least the hard drive down safely.No file sys errors on reboot.

Cannot find any errors in the /var/log files.The original Arch installation was when using the Radeon graphics and C-media sound.

No other problems apparent.Arch and hardware work great otherwise.BTW had same problem in Ubuntu before Arch.   

Best Wishes from a happy Arch user.Chris.

Last edited by clodhopper (2008-12-12 23:04:10)

#2 2008-12-11 03:24:48

shazeal

Re: [Solved]Freeze using flash in Firefox / Seamonkey or in Tuxracer.

Sounds like your computer may be overheating. Try running the games/flash with the computer case cover removed and see if that helps at all, if it does I would say either the thermalpad (if you have one?) on the cpu could be shot and you could replace it with some Si grease. Or you need some case fans.

Or I could be way off, either way nothing to loose by trying it.

Last edited by shazeal (2008-12-11 03:28:30)

#3 2008-12-11 18:00:19

clodhopper

Thanks for the reply.

Which causes me to think it may be the radeon graphics chip that is a bit wobbly when hot and it does get so.So will add a case fan and try and cool the graphics card.Never seen the cpu above 55'c and the kernel is still working on the freeze else ctrl+alt+delete would not shut down the hard drive.

But your reply could well be in the right direction and i will give it a go.

Best Wishes,Best Linux,Chris.

#4 2008-12-12 07:22:29

Inkaine

#5 2008-12-12 23:25:35

clodhopper

Many thanks Shazeal and Inkaine for your reply's,Problem is solved.

It was the cpu overheating that caused the problem.Cleaning then reseating the cpu cooler with new heat transfer paste went most of the way and fitting a more powerful fan finished the job off.Can play games or flash movies on Youtube endlessly.So particular thanks Shazeal.

What misled me was that i thought it was a graphics or sound freeze only.No it was a total freeze.On the last of 20/30 hardware button reboots following the freeze i booted into a live cd and ran fsck from there which indicated 'rebuilding journal'.So what have i learned...

1)If you cannot find a solution that works then ask a question.
2)Arch GNU/Linux is very strong to withstand all i have done to it over the last few days.
3)Arch rebuilds a faulty file system very quick indeed!!.
4)Take 'quiet' off my Grub menu list Kernel options.
5)My motherboard heat sensor chip is probably reading low.

Once Again,many thanks,

Chris,clodhopper by handle and clodhopper by nature.

#6 2009-02-04 16:59:28

chessboxing

You just have to add the "nopat" option to your kernel boot options line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Is that the solution??

New things emerge when they were forgotten.

Board footer