You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-13 22:51:41

axl

no kbd and mouse with X.org - both dead after fresh install! [SOLVED]

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing an extremely annoying problem for a couple of days already:

After an update via Pacman -Syu my XFCE4 GUI was broken. Keyboard and mouse are dead now, no chance to escape from the broken environment except hammering in a hard reset via reset button. I suspected the problem to be linked with X.org, so I tried to understand what happened and to modify xorg.conf, but this didn't change anything. What's worse is that I don't want to throw a hard reset onto my poor machine each and every time I try a new config.

I decided to save my /home partition and start a new installation, which is now ready (x86-64 on an Athlon X2, via ftp install). A quick try with xorgcfg -textmode showed the same result: X comes up, keyboard and mouse are dead. What's happening here?!!!

It's pretty hard for me to keep calm, since my workstation is down for days now - after a simple update. This is annoying enough to steer me away from Arch, even though I made quite some noise among my buddies to check this distro. Once I was convinced, but that's heavily damaged. Even if the bug or error or whatever causes this problem can be pinned down to X.org - I just can't run a productive system on a distro that can be broken by a simple update.

I appreciate your quick help, many thanks in advance!

Until soon,
Axel

Edit: I can switch on or off Num Lock, so the kbd should be ok. It works perfectly with bash. My graphics card is a Matrox G550, I therefor use the xf86-video-mga driver. [SOLVED

Last edited by axl (2008-12-13 23:08:45)

#2 2008-12-13 23:08:05

axl

Re: no kbd and mouse with X.org - both dead after fresh install! [SOLVED]

Sorry, guys! I solved it by following this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=60752

Now I'm a happy Arch user again.

#3 2008-12-13 23:08:26

Hrod beraht

axl wrote:

...problem can be pinned down to X.org - I just can't run a productive system on a distro that can be broken by a simple update.

It's not broken, X simply works differently now that hotplugging is enabled by default. See the xorg input hotplugging wiki article.

Bob

#4 2008-12-14 00:03:03

axl

You're right, Bob.

Obviously I ran a system without dbus, and this caused the problem after the update. I'm no longer disturbed about the quality of Arch, I think this is just another step on my learning curve.

Thanks to you all for the great work!
Axel

Board footer