You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-14 23:15:48

Xi0N
Website

(solved) Acer Aspire 5670 special keys

The only thing i cannot configure correctly in my laptop are the special keys (i.e. the ones for controlling the volume)
KeyTouch is a program that seems to do the job, but i dont quite knoe how to configure it..... even it comes with some other laptop models configurations, but i dont know how to do it for mine...... or if anyone knows where to geta  configuration file for mine.

Before, in ubuntu, these keys were working.... so there must be somehow...

Any ideas?

Last edited by Xi0N (2008-12-15 01:10:16)

#2 2008-12-15 00:05:13

anrxc
Website

Re: (solved) Acer Aspire 5670 special keys

There are quite a few ways to configure them, about the simplest and proper way would be to use this new HAL enabled X.org (setup evdev as the driver and as a model). Since we got it, you might as well make some use of it.
There is a package, hal-info, that supplies information about various hardware, some of which are keyboards for various laptop models. A few months back there were a bunch of Acer machines in there, and you had to submit a patch for your model to get supported. But recently they redesigned the acer file because more or less they are all the same (if you are interested check /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-acer.fdi).

For more information about this visit:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsien … index.html

Last edited by anrxc (2008-12-15 00:33:05)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2008-12-15 01:09:37

Xi0N
Website

Ok, i made it.

In the keyTouch program, i selected the "Acer Aspire 3000" model and works properly for my model, even being a different one.

Thanks anyway!!!:D

#4 2008-12-31 10:26:56

jaydoc

Hi...

I have an ACER ASPIRE 5920 on which I installed Arch with KDE-mod, about a day ago.
This model has a volume control wheel, that is not recognized by Arch. I did have it working on Kubuntu and Ubuntu installs I had previously.

I got as far as installing xev and seeing its output when i moved the wheel. But I am clueless about how to proceed henceforth.

Any help on this..? I have searched for this, but can only find mandriva related issues that were solved by using some program called kmilo, which seems to have replaced by xosd.. But I am as clueless about it as  I am with xev.

The keytouch program suggested above doesn't seem to have a version of my laptop's keyboard.

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#5 2009-01-01 13:55:53

jaydoc

Hi, can anyone point me to some way to solve this issue...?

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#6 2009-01-01 14:36:28

anrxc
Website

There is no issue. Your keys are mapped (xev), you need to assign actions/applications to them. Use a specialized app like xbindkeys, or use your DE's standard configuration for mapping keys/shortcuts.

#7 2009-01-01 17:59:31

jaydoc

@anrxc...

After fiddling around a while, I cam across an useful webpage about xbindkeys, that told me to look for a keycode when running xev

I get this output with xev

keycode 123 = xf86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 122 = xf86AudioLowerVolume

I understand that i have to use this info in xbindkeys to get my DE (or whatever it is) to recognize what the key is meant for. But what exactly do I do in xbindkeys...? I have created a file .xbindkeysrc.scm in my home directory. should I edit this, and if so, how...?

#8 2009-01-01 18:54:57

anrxc
Website

# -*- shell-script -*-
#
# xbindkeys configuration
#     ~/.xbindkeysrc
# 
# The format of a command line is:
#    "command to start"
#       associated key (+ key)
#
# List of modifier:
#   Release, Control, Shift, Mod1 (Alt), Mod2 (NumLock),
#   Mod3 (CapsLock), Mod4 (Win), Mod5 (Scroll).

# Uncomment if you want to pay attention to *Lock modifiers
#keystate_numlock = enable
#keystate_capslock = enable
#keystate_scrolllock= enable

"amixer -q sset Master mute"
    XF86AudioMute

"amixer -q sset PCM 2dB- && amixer -q sset Master unmute"
    XF86AudioLowerVolume

"amixer -q sset PCM 2dB+ && amixer -q sset Master unmute"
    XF86AudioRaiseVolume

"/usr/local/bin/firefox -browser"
    XF86WWW

#... and so on

Last edited by anrxc (2009-01-01 18:55:53)

Board footer