You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-17 18:28:28

johnzo

A few problems with install on Macbook 2,1

I used diskutil to set a 4G SWAP partition, and a HFS+ Arch partition.  Did not make a separate boot partition. 
I downloaded and installed rEFit.  Went through the Macbook Install wiki, but grub would not install on /dev/sda3 even with the sfdisk -c fix.

I also could not get pacman -Sy refit to work, it said that 'refit' did not exist, tried pacman -Ss as well, nothing.  gptsync command does not work. 

I initially thought that I had installed refit too soon (before creating the new partitions in diskutil) so I erased everything, restored back to the original volume in OSX, and tried it again being very careful to follow the wiki order of steps, but went straight back to the same problem.  I feel like I'm overlooking something simple here.  My girlfriend (she configures BSD and linux distros for fun) heard me cursing and said that grub was just being difficult.

#2 2008-12-19 14:35:29

johnzo

Re: A few problems with install on Macbook 2,1

Okay I figured this out, and possibly the problems that many are having installing GRUB or LILO.  The GRUB error message about the GPT HD is most likely due to rEFit syncing the GPT and MBR.  The only way that I got GRUB to install correctly was to go back and reinstall without using rEFit or "syncing" the PT and MBR.  It looks like it may actually be better to install rEFit (if you want it) after installing linux, or not at all. 

I did see the small "disclaimer" in the wiki stating that rEFit is not available for pacman to find anymore, so I don't know why the "pacman -Sy refit" is even still in the wiki.  One thing is for sure, it does not seem like anyone is really clear about this whole GPT/MBR setup on the Mac HD's, or what this "syncing" actually does.  Looks to me like it just sort of "smooths" out the hybrid MBR partitions and that's why GRUB can't find the specific partition you want to install it on, it doesn't look like a partitioned MBR anymore to it, it only sees a GPT. 

I'm also not sure the sfdisk -c /dev/sda X XY command can work for everyone, it only gave me error messages.

Another thing, now that I have everything installed and working, I hardly have any drivers, or relevant modules for the Macbook.  At least I have Arch installed, but now I'm going to have to go configure everything just to get the X environment working (I don't even have the driver for the LCD).

Board footer