You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 06:20:03

monstermudder78

Can't record audio streams with Audacity

I can't seem to figure out how to get Audacity to record audio streams as they play through my computer.  With windows I was able to record any type of audio stream from the internet that was played, as it was being played.  For some reason I can't seem to get it to work the same way under linux.  Can someone tell me if it is even possible?  If it is any ideas what I am doing wrong?  I have tried changing every setting imaginable, used different distros, I just can't figure this one out.

Thanks in advance,
Monstermudder78

#2 2008-12-18 09:18:24

shazeal

Re: Can't record audio streams with Audacity

Probably depends on your sound card, I have Audigy 2 ZS. For me I just open alsamixer, hit F4 to open the capture screen, find the PCM channel and turn up the volume, now anything going through PCM output alsa goes to the recording input.

#3 2008-12-21 10:28:40

hb
Website

do you want to rip radio streams? then you eventually could use streamripper (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … eamripper/) - there are also two GUIs for it in aur (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … B=nd&PP=25)

Another possibility: if you use something with jackd-output (f. e. alsaplayer can do this) to play the stream you could just route this stream to audacity or any other audio recorder...

#4 2008-12-21 20:04:19

monstermudder78

What I really want to rip is the audio from websites, I don't think it is technically 'internet radio' but if streamripper could do it that would work for me, I just couldn't figure it out.

Also, just to comlicate things, I am using oss4, instead of alsa, but I am willing to switch back if it makes this work.  Just for the record, I tried audacity with both oss and alsa and neither worked, although alsa didn't work worse lol.

Board footer