You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 07:03:38

Sigi

Can't load fglrx module

Hi!

I haven't upgraded my system for a while and now - after a complete system update including xorg-server, kernel, etc. - I've got a system without X  :-(
I've been using the OS Ati driver for a while and was quite happy with it.

It looks like the latest xorg-server has some problems with it though. It's complaining about an mtrr error. I thought I could switch to fglrx for now but the fglrx module won't load. Neither the combo of kernel/catalyst from extra, nor the one from testing nor a self built catalyst against the latest kernel in testing let me load the fglrx module. What's going on here? Help is appreciated...

Best regards, Chris

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#2 2008-12-18 15:41:27

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Can't load fglrx module

Did you forgot to reboot after the kernel update?

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2008-12-18 15:47:39

Sigi

Ouuuch, that could indeed be the case... It was 3am and I was kind of pissed off because I couldn't resist to "pacman -Syu" without backup or even packages in the pacman cache smile

I'll try to fix my machine in 2 hours and report back how it turned out. Thanks so far!

#4 2008-12-18 18:35:26

Sigi

Well, I got it working. But strange enough, I still can't modprobe the newly built fglrx-module (catalyst 8.12).
So I tried the vesa driver. Check.
Then I gave the ati (OSS) driver another go, hal recognition of input devices disabled because that was were the whole mess started. Check. smile
Then I tried w/ hal. Check. To my surprise, keyboard and synaptics were now working (couldn't get to this point yesterday)
Changed the keyboard to "ch" and created a reasonable  /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/11-x11-synaptics.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
        <!--<merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">false</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeFingerScroll" type="string">false</merge> -->
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll" type="string">true</merge>
        <!--<merge key="input.x11_options.LeftEdge" type="string">1700</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TopEdge" type="string">1700</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.RightEdge" type="string">5300</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomEdge" type="string">4200</merge>-->
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertScrollDelta" type="string">100</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinSpeed" type="string">0.16</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxSpeed" type="string">0.25</merge>
        <!--<merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge> -->
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizScrollDelta" type="string">40</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Cool. I'm almost happy. Some special keys don't yet behave like the used to do (like shift-insert for inserting text the way it did before) But I think I can live with that.

Thanks for the help Mr. Elendig, Wiki, bbs, google, etc smile

Best regards Chris

#5 2008-12-18 19:24:06

Gullible Jones

You should probably file a bug report... Geeze, this policykit stuff is really bugging things up.

Board footer