You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-18 18:29:39

Berticus

Which remote desktop solution[s]?

So I want to be able two things remotely.

First I would like to remotely control an already running session. Both people need to be able to see and hear what's happening. They also have different resolutions. They don't both need control at the same time, but if they could sort of give and take control, that would be great.

The second thing I need is create a new session remotely. Doesn't matter if the user is logged in or note locally since I'll be creating a new session. Both audio and visual needs to be forwarded on different resolutions.

Is this even possible? I don't mind using different software to handle the two different problems, if that's possible.

#2 2008-12-18 18:38:00

toxygen

Re: Which remote desktop solution[s]?

ssh + x11vnc seems to fit the bill, that's what i use to connect from work to my home computer.  just read the wiki's for both

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#3 2008-12-19 08:15:28

MoonSwan

If you use KDE I believe the Kdrc/Krdf (might not have quite the right spelling) for precisely this situation.

#4 2008-12-19 09:07:17

iBertus

Do those solution provide audio support? I think the OP said he needed that.

#5 2008-12-19 13:26:26

Nezmer
Website

The audio part is tricky . PulseAudio might be a solution but that will require a lot of integration effort . PulseAudio has compatibility issues too .

I don't know If PulseAudio works non-locally (outside lan) but It wouldn't be useful anyway as It streams audio without compression .

Last edited by Nezmer (2008-12-19 13:31:43)

English is not my native language .

#6 2008-12-19 17:52:06

SiC

Nezmer wrote:

The audio part is tricky . PulseAudio might be a solution but that will require a lot of integration effort . PulseAudio has compatibility issues too .

I don't know If PulseAudio works non-locally (outside lan) but It wouldn't be useful anyway as It streams audio without compression .

Would work well enough over SSH, and you can set it so the link is compressed, how well it would be compressed is open for debate, but it might work better than not at all.

#7 2008-12-20 03:45:04

dav7

A long time ago, I found a page with some VNC patches. This is a POSIX-only solution (in terms of both server and client(s)), and appears to require a bit of server-side system modification and needs an external library (DSProxy, written by the same author) on the server too, but does the job: it forwards sound from one machine to another on a per-user basis via a virtual OSS soundcard, so each user gets their own isolated sound channel. Pretty awesome implementation, if you ask me.

Note that the patched server will work with any unmodified VNC client, however a sound-patched VNC client is required if you want the user(s) to hear sound.

Sadly, the site seems down (I'm a little amazed I managed to find it - it was thanks to this links page (search for "vncaudio") which I only found after some determined googling), BUT the Wayback Archive archived not only the page, but also VNC 3.3.3r1 and the patches! big_smile

The page: http://web.archive.org/web/200801282348 … audio.html
- VNC 3.3.3r1
- Audio patches

If someone has some webspace, it'd be nice if they could grab them just in case the archived versions asplode too. tongue

DSProxy is still around on the web, and can be found at scarabeus.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-12-20 03:45:17)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#8 2008-12-21 04:40:05

Berticus

Hmm.. Thanks, I'll look more into these solutions when I get back to my desktop.

Board footer