You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-19 10:40:55

suicideducky
Website

Help wth openbox "finishing touches"

I have just built an arch system, having had arch as a secondary partition to gentoo for a while, and have made the transition to arch being my primary linux system.

I am getting an HP mini 1000 netbook for christmas and will be installing arch on it, as compiling is out of the question, and decided openbox sounded good. So far I have openbox, with pypanel running at the top and wbar on the bottom. Both of them are "fine" just have to go through and remove the unneeded default icons from wbar, thats easy.

But I would like to know about a few things such as:
1) menu generation, automatic/dynamic options? I do not want to have to manually fire up obmenu and add the new programs each time >.<
2) shutdown button, I am thinking of just adding icon to pypanel and getting it to execute sudo shutdown, any other options?
3) transparent terminals...

Thanks again, Ducky

Last edited by suicideducky (2008-12-19 11:25:42)

#2 2008-12-19 12:31:57

ralvez
Website

Re: Help wth openbox "finishing touches"

1. You use .config/openbox/autostart.sh and add the programs you want to start. Eg: say you want to run Conky and Shaman you enter:

conky &
shaman &

at the end of the file.

2. I added myself to the /etc/sudoers with the right to shut down and created a simple script in my /home/bin folder to shut down; then added the script to my menus list. (So I just open the menus and click "Shut Down".
Here is my script:

#!/bin/bash
#
sudo halt

3. For transparent terminal I love yakuakee .  (pacman -Sy yakuake )

Enjoy!

R.

#3 2008-12-19 13:42:41

zenlord
Website

Re: Help wth openbox "finishing touches"

Menu generation:
the wiki gives you several options. One via mmaker (static) and one via xdg (dynamic). Both have pro's and con's (speed and convenience)

Shutdown:
there's a lightweight 'community contribution' available on the forum that gives you a menu to choose from (shutdown, logout, reboot etc.)

Board footer