You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-21 14:39:41

Mr. Steve

Installing Arch Linux on ASUS EEE PC 1000 40G

Hey everyone,

I have two questions, the first one is has anyone installed Arch on an EEEPC 1000 40G (Not H or HA), if so, is there a reliable tutorial or anything, because everything else is more focused on other models.

Secondly, I'm trying to figure out how to put my USB thumb drive back to normal, once I've put the image on it using flashnul, I am not able to take the image off and have my USB storage back.

Any help is awsome!

Thank
Steve

#2 2008-12-21 18:27:42

IHateSnow

Re: Installing Arch Linux on ASUS EEE PC 1000 40G

I'm going to install arch on my EEE 1000 40g on wednesday. I'll post any problems I run into. I had no problems with installing arch on my old 701, besides it taking forever to get the order of the daemon's right.

I'M SICK OF UBUNTU.

#3 2008-12-29 21:35:34

diego

Hey m8s,

anyone installed arch on eeepc1000 40g?
can i use the zen-eee901 without problems?
is there any zen-eee1000 plan?

i hope one of u can answer me some of my questions (=

greez diego

#4 2009-01-04 19:52:34

big_gie

I have Arch on my Eee 1000. I'm running my own kernel (2.6.27.10-ARCH with many modules compiled-in).

I have trouble with wireless... I can't connect to my WPA2 router. It works with the neighbour's unencrypted network though. I tried wicd, networkmanager-0.7, netcfg2 and calling wpa_supplicant directly. I just can't associate...

The wirless card is a RaLink RT2860 (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14557)
Ethernet is Attansic Technology Corp. L1e Gigabit
Device Drivers  --->
     [*] Network device support  --->
           [*] Ethernet (1000 Mbit)  --->
                 <*>   Atheros L1E Gigabit Ethernet support (EXPERIMENTAL)

Disabling almost everything in the kernel except the needed stuff speed up the compilation on the 1000. It is still slow: it takes around 45 minutes. (with -j3)

#5 2009-01-05 02:45:14

Wittfella

Mr. Steve wrote:

Hey everyone,
  Secondly, I'm trying to figure out how to put my USB thumb drive back to normal, once I've put the image on it using flashnul, I am not able to take the image off and have my USB storage back.
Steve

Use cfdisk to delete the (small) partition that flashnul creates, and create a new partition for the full size of the device.

> cfdisk /dev/sdb

where 'sdb' is your usb device, might be something different, check dmesg.

Last edited by Wittfella (2009-01-05 02:46:19)

#6 2009-01-05 18:23:33

big_gie

I just find out that I could not connect through WPA2 with my router (D-Link DIR-615). I had to change to "WPA Only" and TKIP only...

#7 2009-01-20 21:39:31

big_gie

I'm happy to see that my worked was useful to somebody wink

I've created a package for acpi on the 1000. It could be use by any EeePc though: just needs to copy "acpi-eeepc-1000-events.conf" to "acpi-eeepc-901-events.conf" (and editing it) for example to support the 901.

The package called "acpi-eeepc-generic" is available here:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23318

The volume control is set in the configuration file (acpi-eeepc-generic.conf). Basically I control "PCM" for volume up and down, and mute "LineOut" and "iSpeaker":

COMMANDS_MUTE=("amixer set LineOut toggle" "amixer set iSpeaker toggle")
COMMANDS_VOLUME_DOWN=("amixer set PCM 5%-")
COMMANDS_VOLUME_UP=("amixer set PCM 5%+")

Because on 2.6.28(.1), PCM can't be mute on the 1000. Only LineOut and iSpeaker (the earplug jack).

As you can see, I can execute many commands for a single key press, thanx to bash arrays! wink

The package will display a nice notification, thanx to libnotify. No "asusosd" crap.

Last edited by big_gie (2009-01-20 21:40:53)

#8 2009-01-21 17:36:02

muz

Hey!

Can somebody please tell me how to compile the kernel with the custom config file from big_gie..?
I did compile a kernel before, I use gentoo for my desktop. It's just have been a while and Arch seems to have a different way to do things. I'd appreciate a howto, I am sure there is one somewhere.

Thank you

PS : One of my main problems is that eee is networkless now and all I have is a windows computer (also eee) from a friend. When I try to save the config, windows messes with the newlines, I'd also appreciate help with that one. I think about downloading a live linux distro and putting it on usb then downloading the stuff from that system but there is gotta be a better way..

#9 2009-01-21 18:07:36

big_gie

I have put online the kernel I've built. You can find some packages here:
http://nbigaouette.inrs-emt.homelinux.n … rch/e1000/
The kernel is there, also with the acpi package and the rt2860sta driver for the wireless card. That will probably help you get started wink

Note that I compiled the on another (way faster) machine. The cflags used are:

CFLAGS="-march=prescott -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

As for the kernel building, take a look at these:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=282844
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12384
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 02937.html
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … n_with_ABS

You'll also need to create the "patch-2.6.28.1-1-ARCH.bz2":

$ git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/linux-2.6-ARCH.git
$ cd linux-2.6-ARCH
$ ./gen_kernel_patch

(the sources will be downloaded in $SRCDEST which is set in /etc/makepkg.conf)

Edit: I also added the config file here: http://nbigaouette.inrs-emt.homelinux.n … 000/config

Good luck! wink

Last edited by big_gie (2009-01-21 18:10:57)

#10 2009-01-31 19:43:50

kleverness

Hi!

After several issues, I managed to install Arch Linux on my EEE 1000, but I have some problems regarding Xorg. My X seems quite laggy, I've installed KDE 4.2 and performance is quite bad. I remember that I had similar problems with my previous 701 but an xorg.conf config solved it.
Also, my touchpad isn't working, even single click touch does not work :s. I've tried updating to the newest intel driver but problem remains sad

Could anybody please post a fully working xorg.conf file for the EEE 1000?

Thanks in advance.

#11 2009-02-01 16:38:47

big_gie

Here's mine. It might be messy a little bit, I've been trying some stuff.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "ArchLinux"
    Screen          0 "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "IntelCard"
    Driver      "intel"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
#    Option      "AccelMethod" "UXA"
    Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
#    Option      "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

#    Option        "XAANoOffScreenPixmaps"    "true"
#    Option        "AccelMethod"        "XAA"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "ASUS"
    ModelName    "eeePC 1000"
    Modeline     "1024x600"  48.96 1024 1064 1168 1312 600 601 604 622 -HSync +Vsync # 60 Hz
    #Modeline     "800x480"  29.58  800 816 896 992  480 481 484 497  -HSync +Vsync # 60 Hz
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "IntelCard"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        #Virtual   2048 2048
        #Virtual 1680 1050
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Note that I don't have any input sections, I let hal detect everthing. BUT, it uses evdev instead of synaptics... Else it works well.

#12 2009-02-02 01:45:36

Wittfella

big_gie wrote:

BUT, it uses evdev instead of synaptics... Else it works well.

Its not matching the first line of your fdi:

<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">

try:

<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">

Or check the output of 'lshal', you can figure out what the 'contains=???' should be.

#13 2009-02-02 02:17:24

big_gie

Wittfella wrote:

Its not matching the first line of your fdi:

<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">

How do you know what I have in my fdi file?? *me disconnect any network cable*... tongue

I just can't match the capabilities field... lshal reports "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse": this is really weird. But maybe it is because I built my kernel with "# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH is not set"...

lshal reports:

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port_logicaldev_input'
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.mouse'} (string list)
  info.category = 'input'  (string)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port'  (string)
  info.product = 'ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse'  (string)
  info.subsystem = 'input'  (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port_logicaldev_input'  (string)
  input.device = '/dev/input/event7'  (string)
  input.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port'  (string)
  input.product = 'ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse'  (string)
  input.x11_driver = 'evdev'  (string)
  linux.device_file = '/dev/input/event7'  (string)
  linux.hotplug_type = 2  (0x2)  (int)
  linux.subsystem = 'input'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/class/input/input7/event7'  (string)

Even putting "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" in the capabilities (<match key="info.product" contains="'ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse">) Xorg still uses evdev...

#14 2009-02-02 03:10:12

big_gie

I've taken a better look at the touchpad "problem". My fdi was not formatted correctly or did not contained enough info.

On the 1000, my fdi now looks like this:

/etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptic-options.fdi wrote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.product" contains="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad">
      <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">on</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxSpeed" type="string">1.00</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.MinSpeed" type="string">0.75</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">on</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">2</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">3</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.LockedDrags" type="string">1</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Note the "info.product contains=..." Also, I needed to compile my kernel with "CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y"

Until now, the only advantage I see from synaptics over evdev is that I can disable it with synclient...

#15 2009-02-02 03:43:23

big_gie

I have updated the wiki page about that.

#16 2009-02-02 16:07:43

kleverness

@everybody: Thanks for the information. smile

I've tried removing input sections from xorg.conf and letting hal detect everything but my touchpad doesn't quite work. It only moves quite glitchy and no tap and no scroll support at all sad 
Some information: I'm using arch latest stock kernel 2.6.28 and my system is up to date using the core repository. The /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ directory is empty. Here's my relevant lshal output:

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port_logicaldev_input'
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.mouse'} (string list)
  info.category = 'input'  (string)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port'  (string)
  info.product = 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad'  (string)
  info.subsystem = 'input'  (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port_logicaldev_input'  (string)
  input.device = '/dev/input/event10'  (string)
  input.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port'  (string)
  input.product = 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad'  (string)
  input.x11_driver = 'evdev'  (string)
  linux.device_file = '/dev/input/event10'  (string)
  linux.hotplug_type = 2  (0x2)  (int)
  linux.subsystem = 'input'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/class/input/input10/event10'  (string)

Any ideas? Also, is the multitouch zooming features working for you?

Btw, the EXA acceleratation is the default, so you don't really need to the AccelMethod option to use it.

Thanks again.

#17 2009-02-02 16:25:23

big_gie

kleverness wrote:

I've tried removing input sections from xorg.conf and letting hal detect everything but my touchpad doesn't quite work. It only moves quite glitchy and no tap and no scroll support at all sad 
Some information: I'm using arch latest stock kernel 2.6.28 and my system is up to date using the core repository. The /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ directory is empty.

The default hal configuration for the synaptics touchpad is crappy. I don't know why. It is really jumpy. You just need to configure it. You can do it in xorg.conf or in an fdi file. See the wiki for the config that worked for me: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asu … 0#Touchpad
Note that it is still a _little_ jumpy. Not that much though. But there is a small difference with the evdev driver...

kleverness wrote:

Also, is the multitouch zooming features working for you?

I've never used it so I don't know if it works or not... smile What should be its behaviour? How can I test this?

kleverness wrote:

Btw, the EXA acceleratation is the default, so you don't really need to the AccelMethod option to use it.

That's true. On the wiki, I removed all commented options I had. I tried Exa, Uxa and XAA, so this is why I still had exa... smile I'll remove it from the wiki... Edit: done smile I also removed the keyboard part which I forgot to remove!!

Last edited by big_gie (2009-02-02 16:26:45)

#18 2009-02-02 16:48:54

kleverness

big_gie wrote:

The default hal configuration for the synaptics touchpad is crappy. I don't know why. It is really jumpy. You just need to configure it. You can do it in xorg.conf or in an fdi file. See the wiki for the config that worked for me: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asu … 0#Touchpad
Note that it is still a _little_ jumpy. Not that much though. But there is a small difference with the evdev driver...

I tried that fdi config and it works fine now, just as well as with the xorg.conf static configuration smile. However, I don't understand something, you agree with me that the touchpad works very choppy without configuration but the wiki says:

If you don't do anything, the touchpad should be configured to use the evdev driver. With evdev, everything seems to work out of the box: I can use two fingers to scroll for example. The only thing is that you cannot disable the touchpad.

So I don't understand, how do you managed to make it work correctly with using evdev? Because it doesn't work out of the box for me...

big_gie wrote:

I've never used it so I don't know if it works or not... smile What should be its behaviour? How can I test this?

It works like iphone's touchscreen zooming gesture but doing that on the touchpad of course. This doesn't work here in any application.

Btw, thanks for you work on the wiki, i will try to collaborate with some installation issues later.

#19 2009-02-02 16:57:00

big_gie

kleverness wrote:

I tried that fdi config and it works fine now, just as well as with the xorg.conf static configuration smile. However, I don't understand something, you agree with me that the touchpad works very choppy without configuration but the wiki says:

If you don't do anything, the touchpad should be configured to use the evdev driver. With evdev, everything seems to work out of the box: I can use two fingers to scroll for example. The only thing is that you cannot disable the touchpad.

So I don't understand, how do you managed to make it work correctly with using evdev? Because it doesn't work out of the box for me...

Hum... I'm confused myself... tongue
If I compile the kernel with "# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH not set" then the touchpad is detected by hal as a logitech mouse (ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse), xorg then configure it with evdev and everything works fine. I did not tried the zoom though, it might not work.
If I compile my kernel with "CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y", then the touchpad is correctly detected by hal as "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad", xorg then uses synaptics as its driver. But if there is no fdi file, then the default synaptics configuration takes precedence which gives you a jumpy cursor. So you will need that fdi file.

I hope that clears some confusion... wink

kleverness wrote:

It works like iphone's touchscreen zooming gesture but doing that on the touchpad of course. This doesn't work here in any application.

Seems cool wink But then the application probably need to support it...

kleverness wrote:

Btw, thanks for you work on the wiki, i will try to collaborate with some installation issues later.

Thanx for your help smile

#20 2009-02-02 17:49:00

kleverness

big_gie wrote:

Hum... I'm confused myself... tongue
If I compile the kernel with "# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH not set" then the touchpad is detected by hal as a logitech mouse (ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse), xorg then configure it with evdev and everything works fine. I did not tried the zoom though, it might not work.
If I compile my kernel with "CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y", then the touchpad is correctly detected by hal as "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad", xorg then uses synaptics as its driver. But if there is no fdi file, then the default synaptics configuration takes precedence which gives you a jumpy cursor. So you will need that fdi file.

I hope that clears some confusion... wink

That clears the confusion indeed. However, the stock kernel (the one I'm using) has CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y so that's why I'm in the second case. As this is the default i think the wiki should be modified assuming the stock kernel case or if not explain both cases.

kleverness wrote:

Seems cool wink But then the application probably need to support it....

Yeah, but people using Xandrox have reported that it works with Firefox and OpenOffice at least so I think that just as the two finger scroll the zoom option should be configurable. I'll investigate more on the issue.

Another thing: I've installed your acpi-eeepc-generic package but I'm no expert and don't fully understand what should I do and what's the expected behavior. I set acpid to start at boot, is there any configuration requiered to make it work? Because in the wiki says about copying .conf files but I don't understand what should I do exactly. Some buttons are working and some not.

Thanks for you time.

#21 2009-02-02 18:10:37

big_gie

The configuration file is located here: /etc/conf.d/acpi-eeepc-generic.conf
Just edit that file (with root priviledges) and change the binding of each functions to something you want.
For example, I have set up the second user silver key to launch pcmanfm, a file explorer. You can change it to whatever you want: you could launch a terminal instead, or suspend the machine with a helper script. You can even "disable" it by putting nothing in. It's up to you smile

There is some defaults, but it might not match your liking or installed packages. It is not to hard to understand I think.

You can even execute many applications with a single key. Look for example at the "COMMANDS_MUTE" variable. Typing Fn+F10 (on the 1000) will execute everything that is in that variable. So it will mute the LineOut (amixer set LineOut toggle) and mute also the earplug (amixer set iSpeaker toggle).
This is possible due to bash's array variable. So the configuration file's variable are not 'real' variables: they are arrays. Each element of the array will be executed.
Note that if the command you want to execute contains spaces, you will need to double-quote them, as in the previous example.
Also, almost all commands are executed as root. So if you want to bind Fn+F9 to a task manager running under your account (and not with root priviledges), you need to call it with "su". Launching with root might not work (problem with access to the X server...) So for example, look at the XRandR command:
COMMANDS_XRANDR_TOGGLE=("/bin/su $XUSER --login -c \"lxrandr\"")
When I press Fn+F8, lxrandr will be launch with priviledges of user $XUSER. lxrandr (pacman -S lxrandr) is a nice and simple GUI for choosing between clone/lcd only/vga only for a dualscreen setup.

#22 2009-02-02 18:12:05

big_gie

Also, if something is not working, you can report it here or on the homepage: http://code.google.com/p/acpi-eeepc-generic/ in the "Issues" section. That way I can keep track of what is working or not and correct it.

#23 2009-02-02 23:19:26

kleverness

I've updated the wiki. Currently the EEE's related wikis are a mess, very confusing so I'll try to unify them nicely when I can, any help is appreciated. smile

Thanks for the acpi information, after editing the config file now it works as expected smile

Last edited by kleverness (2009-02-02 23:20:13)

#24 2009-02-03 00:43:17

big_gie

Thanx for the work on the wiki wink

I know about the messy wiki pages. I created the 1000 one to put some info related to only the 1000. I was hoping they could get merged too...

#25 2009-02-03 16:43:21

big_gie

Board footer