You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-22 13:26:32

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

The awesome awesome thread

There is no thread for awesome yet, and I think it has quite some archers in it's userbase, so ...

For beginners like me this page has proven very useful : http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/index. … figuration

There are 2 things I don't understand though:

1) why can you bind a tag to only one screen?  If you have 2 monitors, you could for example sometimes want to open your media stuff on monitor1 and another time on monitor2, now i need to create 2 tags 'media-screen1' and 'media-screen2' and bind these tags to the same clients, because even though you can bind n tags to 1 screen, it seems like you cannot bind n screens to 1 tag (in rc.lua tag.screen = <screen-id> )

2) - why must you specify tags by number, even though you defined them with names?
Eg in this example app B will open in the tag that is currently open, binding it like this doesn't seem to have any effect.  app A will open in the tag that is defined secondly, in this case this happens to be "web"

apptags =
{
    ["APP A"] = { screen = 1, tag = 2 },
    ["APP B"] = { screen = 1, tag = "web" },

tags = {}
tags[1] = {}
tags[1][1] = tag({ name = 'dev', layout = layouts[1] })
tags[1][2] = tag({ name = "web", layout = layouts[1] })
tags[1][3] = tag({ name = "chat", layout = layouts[1] })
tags[1][4] = tag({ name = 4, layout = layouts[1] })
}

3) Why is mplayer configured as floating by default?  What are some good ways to do video playback in Awesome?  I think the best would be if Awesome could tile mplayer in such a layout that mplayers window size remains in the correct ratio.  If I tile mplayer now I get overlap with other tiles :s

And a more loose, general question: how is the 'tagging clients' usually done? always by coding it in the rc.lua and restarting awesome, or do most users have the habit to bind tags to clients at runtime? (if that is even possible?)

Thanks

Last edited by Dieter@be (2008-12-22 14:08:11)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#2 2008-12-22 13:41:10

Vintendo
Website

Re: The awesome awesome thread

I don't use awesome anymore but i did and the your first point is why i moved away. Xmonad can do that! And I love it

Board footer