You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-23 00:19:45

Bryggeriet

Suspend vs hibernation

Hi

If I install ACPI correctly but don't have any swap partition or file, I will still be able to suspend when closing the lid on the laptop right? Just not entirely hibernate?

I have a Asus Eee PC 900, so it's an issue to not have virtual memory there obviously. In windows you can't even turn that off. (Yes there's an option for it, but many programs will still force the use of pagefiling).

Quoted from Microsoft memory managment developers:

will not eliminate all paging. Binaries (EXEs and DLLs) and memory mapped files that are not backed up by pagefile will still page in and out as necessary. So if the system really wants to free some RAM it will always find something to page out. Running without pagefile only restricts what it can choose from

#2 2008-12-23 00:28:11

sand_man

Re: Suspend vs hibernation

Bryggeriet wrote:

Hi

If I install ACPI correctly but don't have any swap partition or file, I will still be able to suspend when closing the lid on the laptop right? Just not entirely hibernate?

That is correct. It is also possible to create a pagefile if you don't have a swap partition but this is not recommended.

[edit] I just remembered that even though you can create a pagefile, you cannot use it for hibernating anyway...

Last edited by sand_man (2008-12-23 00:28:46)

neutral

Board footer