You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 03:17:43

generic_

Should I make a ubuntu 2 arch wiki?

I am a arch noob but im coming around its only ny third day. I came from ubuntu. Arch was mentioned alot on ubuntu for its speed and such. Alot of things i didnt know had to be installed in arch to get it  in a familiar state. I ve done a decent bit so I was thinking why not write a wiki for people like me?

This would all be assuming that they have their internet and gnome installed.

I was thinking It  would be focused on making an arch install layout "feel" like a ubuntu one. Such as have all the familar tools and apps. Meant to give them a comfortable enviorment and such to help them ease in slow. Cause some of the simpilest crap was confising for me! .Mostly because I had just never had to do it.

so should i?

I'm just lost n00b!

#2 2008-12-24 03:21:57

heleos

Re: Should I make a ubuntu 2 arch wiki?

You're welcome to do whatever you want, I don't think you need anyone's blessing to make a wiki. If you think it will help people and you have the time, you should

#3 2008-12-24 03:36:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

yes

I suggest that you write it in such a way that the reader is made aware of exactly what he's doing and why. It would be misleading if Ubuntu-users were drawn to Arch by a very simple "Ubuntufy Arch" wiki and then slapped in the face later with RTFM and the rest of it. You've obviously managed to get it working and learning to do so is somehow part of the initial Arch experience imo.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2008-12-24 04:08:44

generic_

Here it is so far. I know it really nooby so far but it just the first 2 steps.
Anything I could have missed at this point.

Welcome to the Ubuntu to Arch guide. The guide assumes 3 things

1.You have an internet conection to the computer which archlinux is installed on.
2.You are using the gnome desktop enviorment. This is the defualt enviorment in ubuntu so it only natural to use the same one.
3. You have a brain in which you are capable of processing information, you have hands, and that you understand the english language.

Now those three things aside let get started. So you just installed arch, and finshed installing gnome. You entered that memorable "startx" command and watched you computer go from a dark and dingin shell prompt to a real PC right before your eyes. But somethings are different, the file manager looks weird! There is nothing in the application menu! And for gods sakes there are three annoying icon on your desktop that have been condemmed there as if by satan himself so cant not remove them!

Dont worry this is a defualt gnome install. Were going to ubuntufy your gnome a little!

First you may have noticed the three icons. Click on the one called computer and you will see a bare white window displaying files. To make this look like ubuntus file browser click on the edit menu form the menu bar on the top of the file browser window go to the bottom of the edit menu and select preferences. A new window will pop up. You should see some tabs at the top of this window select the behavior tab. The third choice down from the top of the behavior tab should say "Always open in browser windows" select that choice. Close the preferences windows and close the file browsing window. Re-open it to find a familiar face, your old natilus look!

Now you will be using the terminal in this guide so lets retrive your old friend (or foe in some cases) the gnome terminal. If you go to your applications menus > accessories > root terminal it should bring up a root terminal if it did continue to the nex paragraph. If it did not (as it did with me) click and drag the root terminal from the menus to your desktop to creat an icon for it. Right click it and select proerties in the text box labeled "command:" it might say something like "gksu -l gnome-terminal" completely erase that and simply type "xterm" in there without the quotes. Click the icon and now you good to go.

In you terminal log in as root  with the

$ su -

and type in you password. Now type in

# pacman -S gnome-terminal

Now go to you menu > accessories and youll see a "terminal" click and you old buddy is back.

Now we can get to work...

I'm just lost n00b!

#5 2008-12-24 04:26:40

Allan
Pacman
Website

Would this really add to what is provided by the beginners guide.

#6 2008-12-24 04:33:41

generic_

Its a post install wiki I found the beingerrs guide helpful but once i installed it i was on my own. I just wanted to make 1 for people coming from ubuntu who are not used to installing everything peice by peice.

Last edited by generic_ (2008-12-24 04:35:19)

I'm just lost n00b!

#7 2008-12-24 08:16:51

hrobeers

I came from ubuntu too, but I already did a basi install + openbox + all the apps you need to make a functional desktop. So for me Arch was pretty easy and was just what I was looking for.

But I can imagine that knowing the good apps (wifi / clipboard / filemanager / ... ) will be helpfull for newcomers. But that's for every newbe coming from an "out of the box" distro.

#8 2008-12-24 08:51:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

Continue with your work, but in the meanwhile here's a thought: if someone has made the decision to move from Ubuntu to Arch, is it not reasonable to expect that they want something different, not something that's nearly the same?

#9 2008-12-24 14:27:34

generic_

tomk: yes that is why for every "ubuntu" program installed im listing (and encourageing) to use an alternative. Instead of file roller squeeze, instead of gedit leaf pad. I know that some things people will want something differnet or the same. I can not use anything other that gedit, leafpad is a great app, but i just cant get rid of gedit.

Thanks for guys support.

I'm just lost n00b!

#10 2008-12-24 16:34:05

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

There is a Useful Applications wiki entry.

I actually don't really agree with the idea or concept of 'how to ubuntu-ize your Arch'. The Arch Way should be embraced by those that choose to use it. Otherwise, there wouldn't really be a point in using it. Wouldn't you agree?

#11 2008-12-24 18:09:25

generic_

mabey I came off wrong but i am not try to make art look, act, or like ubuntu! It a guide based towards people who came from an out of the box disto and booted up and have lost of questions about reaaly simple stuff theyev never had to do. It you think of it as arch with familar settings. Helping people set up the simple stuff. such as the spell checker, codecs, other stuff I never really had to do the whole arch thing, i felt like some left some stuff out  it would have helped alot of some even would have said "oh yeah youll need this..." Thats what Im trying to do. Yeah i know the arch way thing but it does make a difference if someone searches the forums, web, and wiki to figure out how to get a simple program working properly. If it was something advanced I completely agree 100% but i had alot of "what the hell" moments on my first time doing this.

I know there is help for most of the stuff i covering thats why this is centered twards ubuntu useer

Last edited by generic_ (2008-12-24 18:16:31)

I'm just lost n00b!

#12 2008-12-24 18:54:34

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The thing is generic - this is supposed to be a learning experience. Not a handholding distro. That's exactly what Ubuntu aims to be. Of course noone can stop you from writing whatever wikis or howtos or blog posts to further what you see as a good thing - but that doesn't mean it *is* a good thing in the Arch context.

Arch is a distro geared towards users that:
a) know what they want
b) know what they do
c) know how to diagnose when things go haywire

People starting out with linux usually don't belong in either of those categories. It is still a pity that people think it's cool to run Arch instead of Ubuntu - imho it's cool to run Linux altogether. Because mentally, most of those people jumping ship have the Ubuntu mentality - something that painfully shows in these forums everday - and keep that mindset, instead of adapting to the mindset that reigns Arch development. What's imho even worse is that some developers do seem inclined to make concessions, even, because of the changing demographic.

So while you are welcome to do what you think is necessary to 'spread' Arch, don't expect the traditional userbase to endorse it. Posting topics about how to mount a cd-rom or synchronise folder A with folder B imho are exemplary of what's going on. We don't encourage that stuff; but it's sad to see an Arch user - any Arch user - post that kind of stuff. One can brag he 'runs Arch Linux as his first Linux distro ever' but if one doesn't know how to handle it, then that only means one thing: fail. Of course, you learn. But I could also install any distro on day one of my Linux experience if someone held my hand. That's not the point. You don't learn by getting it all spelt out; you learn by making mistakes and fixing them - more important, learning how to fix them.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#13 2008-12-24 19:56:46

dusanx

Ubuntu to Arch official guide:

Please choose one of three paths and follow all links:

1. I want to install archlinux with all Ubuntu options I used but I don't want to know anything about manual settings or console commands

Please follow this link, download latest archlinux version and install it

2. I want exactly the same as #1 but I want to make final installation to work three times faster than my old Ubuntu setup

Please follow this link

3. I am ready and want to really know how things work

Please follow this link

Last edited by dusanx (2008-12-24 20:17:20)

Gnome -> Openbox -> Awesome -> XMonad -> dwm .
http://github.com/dusanx/uzbl/

#14 2008-12-24 19:59:19

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You can hide them - just use [url=]description[/url].

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#15 2008-12-24 20:17:50

dusanx

Edited, thanks. Looks better this way wink

Gnome -> Openbox -> Awesome -> XMonad -> dwm .
http://github.com/dusanx/uzbl/

#16 2008-12-25 03:14:38

Themaister
Website

dusanx wrote:

Ubuntu to Arch official guide:

Please choose one of three paths and follow all links:

1. I want to install archlinux with all Ubuntu options I used but I don't want to know anything about manual settings or console commands

Please follow this link, download latest archlinux version and install it

2. I want exactly the same as #1 but I want to make final installation to work three times faster than my old Ubuntu setup

Please follow this link

3. I am ready and want to really know how things work

Please follow this link

Haha! big_smile

#17 2008-12-25 09:00:04

generic_

I understand. Screw the whole thing I just help improve some other wikis.

Last edited by generic_ (2008-12-25 09:00:23)

I'm just lost n00b!

#18 2008-12-25 15:26:46

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I guess the fun of it is learning and trying for yourself and making it work as you want not making it the same, the existing wiki is a great place to start and for something more exotic (that isn't on the wiki) there are the forums. I came from ubuntu and I was looking for something very different. Of course that doing the change requires some testing beforehand, specially if you need your system ready for work everyday. But the change should be peaceful and fun as the user learns how to "tame" his machine and not letting anyone else tame it for him big_smile .

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#19 2008-12-25 15:43:21

generic_

R00KIE wrote:

I guess the fun of it is learning and trying for yourself and making it work as you want not making it the same, the existing wiki is a great place to start and for something more exotic (that isn't on the wiki) there are the forums. I came from ubuntu and I was looking for something very different. Of course that doing the change requires some testing beforehand, specially if you need your system ready for work everyday. But the change should be peaceful and fun as the user learns how to "tame" his machine and not letting anyone else tame it for him big_smile .

thats exactly why i im stopping. I cannot make this guide with out ruining the concept of arch. I just wanted help. But ill find another. Thanks to every one who posted. I think Im realising the arch way.

I'm just lost n00b!

#20 2008-12-26 16:31:38

Heller_Barde

personally i think the "Arch Way" is actually just "Your Way". Arch Linux is just the vehicle for it. There is no "arch way"... there is just what feels right for you, and arch linux provides all the tools for you to realize that goal.

cheers Barde

Board footer