You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-24 23:47:02

psilo357

[SOLVED] X starts from root but not from my user

Hello all, been a while, ive been distro hopping for a few months and guess what...im back to arch as i feel its where i belong:D

However, i am having an odd problem with my new installation.   I just got X installed and configured like i like it and ready to go.  When i 'startx' from root user, it works just fine, but when i try from my user that i made, the screen goes black for a moment then comes back to console.

I use the nvidia drivers, and have used this same config before without problems, anyone have any idea what the problem could be?  Could it be that I forgot to add my user to a certain group?

I can startx as root, then login to my user without a problem...maybe im being a noob and this is how its supposed to work??

any help would be great, i would like to move on to installing kdemod3, but want to make sure everything is working fine first step by step.

thanks for any help.

Last edited by psilo357 (2008-12-25 02:20:52)

#2 2008-12-25 00:08:05

Statix

Re: [SOLVED] X starts from root but not from my user

You can try adding your user to the video group. I've always done that and never really tried without, so I have no clue whether it has anything to do with X or not. wink

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#3 2008-12-25 00:14:42

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Another suggestion: Have you checked your .xinitrc ?

#4 2008-12-25 00:38:43

psilo357

kevin89 wrote:

Another suggestion: Have you checked your .xinitrc ?

Every line in my .xinitrc is commented, there is not a single exec line in there that isn't uncommented.  Here it is

#!/bin/sh

#
#~/.xinitrc
#
#Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#

#exec gnome-session
#exec startkde
#exec startxfce4
#exec icewm
#exec openbox
#exec blackbox
#exec dwm
#... or any other WM of your choosing ...

also, i am part of the video group.  Thanks for the help, maybe i am getting closer

#5 2008-12-25 01:07:53

xaiviax

You have to uncomment the one (and only one) line that refers to the windows manager you installed.  If you haven't installed one yet, and are just testing X, add exec xterm

#6 2008-12-25 02:20:29

psilo357

haha, that was stupid of me, that fixed it, i wonder why by default it has everything commented?  you would think they would have a default that let the x server run at least...

anyways, thanks for the help all, i guess if you would have went ahead with kdemod install everything would have worked fine...doh

#7 2008-12-25 22:50:38

weasel8

haha, that was stupid of me, that fixed it, i wonder why by default it has everything commented?  you would think they would have a default that let the x server run at least...

The X server was working fine, but it needs a program to launch when it starts, it can't draw windows all by itself. The lines are all commented because *you* neeed to install a WM or DE and then uncomment a line. Arch won't do it for you. The commented lines are just examples of what you might use.

Board footer