You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-25 17:37:16

Rokurosv

KDE4 slow with desktop effects

Ok so I installed KDE4 from the kdemod repos. It works pretty ok without desktop effects but when I turn them on, just to use transparency, it gets slow. Window resizing is slow, and overall it feels sluggish. I'm guessing it's cause I have an Nvidia card, and an old one, I have a FX 5200. I followed the steps in this guide:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kdemod, and this is how my xorg.conf Device section looks like:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName      "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
    Option         "TrippleBuffer" "True"
    Option         "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option         "PixmapCacheSize" "300000"
    Option         "OnDemandVBlanketerrupts" "True"
EndSection

I'm using the 173.14.12 drivers and I installed them with pacman. Is there anyway to improve the performance or will I have to live without transparency in KDE4?

Last edited by Rokurosv (2008-12-25 18:12:17)

#2 2008-12-26 00:52:30

Rokurosv

Re: KDE4 slow with desktop effects

I disabled some effects and now it's running a little better. I have another problem, the fonts in my GTK apps like FF, Thunderbird or GIMP look weird like they don't have antialiasing. I tried enabling it under the preferences in KDE but I still get choppy fonts, any way around this?

#3 2008-12-26 03:58:22

mutlu_inek

You could install the gtk-qt-engine from [extra] and set "Use my KDE fonts in GTK apps" in System Settings --> Appearance --> GTK Styles and Fonts.

I don't know about nvidia, but did you read about compositing in the wiki? See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Composite

#4 2008-12-26 04:05:00

Rokurosv

The font problem was fixed using xrdb, apparently the .xinitrc file wasn't being read during startup so I manually added it to the KDE startup. I've enabled composite, perhaps using the beta drivers will help.
Also since I'm considering putting together a new PC, do ATI cards perform better on KDE4? I've read somewhere that there is, or will be, an open source driver for ATI cards.

#5 2008-12-26 04:38:21

mutlu_inek

I am not sure whether I should recommend ATI or Nvidia as I had neither for about two years... and things acan change pretty quickly. I am happy with my onboard Intel. In any case, models can make huge differences, make sure to check the various Linux forums for the specific card you'd like to buy before you do. I do think, though, that you should be able to get compositing working properly under Kwin with your present card as well.

#6 2008-12-26 05:10:20

The Orange Peanut

I have a 5200 myself and find that, while composite effects are quick enough, resizing windows is slow as molasses.  If that is the only thing slow, then I think you can chalk it up to Kwin or compositing in general, not just your card.

#7 2008-12-26 05:41:35

Rokurosv

I found that unchecking some of the resizing options under the window behavior helps a lot, wobbly windows are very responsive and I used the fps plugin under kwin and most of the time I get 60 fps, it only drops when a new app is run but after it loads everything is ok.

Board footer