You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-26 22:55:56

handy

[SOLVED] Pangomm timing out on each server, can't do an -Syu ?

For some days I have not been able to complete an -Syu due to pangomm timing out on each server, I included the following Arch server in my mirrorlist as well, still no good though?

Server = ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/os/x86_64

My pacman  file is up to date.

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this problem, & would be very grateful if someone would tell me what it is? smile

Last edited by handy (2009-07-03 07:40:43)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2008-12-27 23:49:25

handy

Re: [SOLVED] Pangomm timing out on each server, can't do an -Syu ?

So, no one has any idea how I can solve this problem which is preventing me from being able to use the pacman -Syu ?

I have been blocked now for too many days with this problem, I have nearly 600Mb of downloaded packages that will not install.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#3 2008-12-27 23:57:14

dhgwilliam

handy-

i have been dealing with a similar problem, no doubt, but mine works eventually. I noticed that my mirrorlist file was recently replaced and all of the servers were uncommented in the latest and greatest. by re-commenting all the servers except for "unixheads" (I'm in NY, US) pacman works fine, albeit slower than I'm used to. try picking a server besides archlinux.org and just wait it out...

#4 2008-12-28 01:32:03

handy

Thanks for your reply.

My mirrorlist is as it should be, I actually added the U.S. based ones to my usual list of 4 Australian ones, & included the slow Arch mirror on the end.

All of these mirrors time out on this one file pangomm only?

The other files all download as fast as usual & are accumulating on my machine waiting to be installed. :-)

I'm wondering if I should uninstall the installed version, but I don't really see any logic in that.

I really don't understand why the pangomm file is not available to me, & it would seem is available to everyone else?

Last edited by handy (2008-12-28 01:32:41)

I'm over it!

#5 2008-12-29 00:52:04

handy

So it looks like I'll never be able to do an -Syu again eh!?

My problem is too hard for anyone to understand?

Do I have to reinstall Arch to escape this, if so why?

It makes no logical sense that I can't download something due to a problem on my machine, if I could download but not install, that would be a different matter.

Why does no one else have this problem?

If it was a problem on the maintainers end I would not be alone with this error?

Why does pangomm time out on all servers including the genuine slow Arch server?

???????

Last edited by handy (2008-12-29 00:54:56)

I'm over it!

#6 2008-12-29 01:03:04

fwojciec

Did you try wget-ing the file directly?  What's the specific error that you get?

#7 2008-12-29 02:42:41

handy

fwojciec wrote:

Did you try wget-ing the file directly?  What's the specific error that you get?

No I didn't. 

The error was that all 13 servers would time out on this one file only?

Smartboyathome attached the file for me in a post to my thread in the Ubuntu forums Arch section.  I could then after meeting a few dependencies install the file, after which I could then do a complete the -Syu --aur which is the first since I was blocked by this mystifying problem that started about a week ago.

I have no idea why this file would not download from any of the 13 servers (which includes the slow official arch server) in my mirrorlist?

It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

I'm over it!

#8 2008-12-30 03:30:17

handy

I'll just keep bumping this thread; as the mystery of it needs to be solved?

I'm over it!

#9 2008-12-30 23:45:07

handy

Just a daily bump.

Anyone have the answer to question this thread is posing?

I'm over it!

#10 2008-12-31 09:11:24

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Pangomm just downloaded/installed without errors from my usual mirror :

Server = ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distribu … po/os/i686

I suggest you try updating it from there and tell us if that worked.

Note : i' m using the wget default xfercommand settings in pacman.conf

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#11 2009-01-02 23:06:03

handy

Thanks for your reply Lone_Wolf.

I'll downgrade & remove the current package from the cache & then do as you suggest, after which I'll report back.

I'm over it!

#12 2009-07-03 07:42:31

handy

This is just a late post, to say that I had to be away from home for some time, when I came back & did an -Syu --aur, the trouble had disapeared?

So I've marked the thread as solved, though I have no idea who did what where to solve it. smile

I'm over it!

Board footer