You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-27 18:43:55

Warper

[SOLVED] No menu in LXDE

Hey everyone,
I'm installing Arch on a Celeron 433MHz desktop with 512 MB RAM thus I'm using LXDE to have a responsive desktop and SLiM as login mananger.
My problem is that after installing X, slim and lxde as the wiki explains, I don't have the menu button on the panel.
I was trying to add the menu but I don't find any menu plugin. I found the LXPanel plugins into /lib/lxpanel/plugins but there isn't any menu.so.
tryied reinstalling panel to no avail.
Something else, I discovered that the original panel file does contain a menu plugin section but it doesn't appear anywhere and as soon as I try to modify the panel preferences this spection dissapears.
Any help will be appreciated.
TIA
Warper

Last edited by Warper (2008-12-30 00:36:37)

#2 2008-12-27 19:49:14

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] No menu in LXDE

There isn't /usr/lib/lxpanel/menu.so on my system, but the menu is available. When I right click on the panel, go to Panel Settings-->Panel Applets-->Add, it's there as "Directory Menu".

#3 2008-12-27 21:16:52

Ashren
Website

I can confirm this problem. No menu in lxpanel -  the directory menu is not the same as the application menu.

#4 2008-12-27 21:29:26

tth

Same here. x86-64

lxpanel: can't load menu plugin

#5 2008-12-27 21:54:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

Ashren wrote:

I can confirm this problem. No menu in lxpanel -  the directory menu is not the same as the application menu.

My apologies. I don't use either, so I'm confused about both.

#6 2008-12-28 02:02:45

Fatsobob

Confirmed, I was installing on my laptop last night and the menu was not there nor was it an option to add to the panel.

#7 2008-12-28 02:13:45

tinhtruong

I have the same situation on my desktop. But on my virtual machine in VirtualBox, it does have menu. It's weird!

#8 2008-12-28 02:28:44

Warper

Is anyone else using SLiM? Could it be related to not using GDM?
I've read a post somewhere that said that if you start Gnome first and after logging out you start LXDE the menu does appear.
I've booted up this machine with Ubuntulite and the menu is there but I could not find any menu.so thus it has to be something else.
I'll keep searching

Warper

#9 2008-12-28 02:47:32

Knives

to correct this i had done what daelsta put in:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17813

k this is how i got it to work:

1. Uninstall lxpanel (pacman -Rsn lxpanel)
2. PKGBUILD for menu-cache:

pkgname=menu-cache
pkgver=0.2.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Libmenu-cache is a library creating and utilizing caches to speed up
the manipulation for freedesktop.org defined application menus."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL2')
url="http://lxde.org/"
groups=('lxde')
depends=('intltool')
makedepends=('pkgconfig')
source=(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lxde/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz)

build() {
cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc || return 1
make || return 1
make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install || return 1
}
md5sums=('2ebce9f1217553112ac35abc35360050')

3. PKBUILD for lxmenu-data:

pkgname=lxmenu-data
pkgver=0.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="This package provides files required to build freedesktop.org
menu spec-compliant desktop menus for LXDE."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL2')
groups=('lxde')
source=(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lxde/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz)

build() {
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc || return 1
make || return 1
}
md5sums=('1c35ad4bf05cd076ce4a9bb64a246351')

4. PKGBUILD for lxpanel:

pkgname=lxpanel
pkgver=0.3.99
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Panel of the LXDE Desktop"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL2')
groups=('lxde')
depends=('gtk2' 'alsa-lib' 'menu-cache' 'lxmenu-data')

build() {
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr || return 1
make || return 1
}
md5sums=('91f020d385ee29dcfff820d5c77a0e4f')

5. build the 3 packages

6. install menu-cache, lxmenu-data and then lxpanel

greetings daelsta

#10 2008-12-28 03:19:07

tinhtruong

When will this be available on the official repositories?

#11 2008-12-28 05:08:54

kamigr

This problem has emerged after the latest update of LXPanel... the "Menu" option is not available in "add/remove panel items" neither it can be activated by manually adding it in ~/.config/lxmenu/lxde/panels/panel....at least in my case.

If you haven't cleared your pacman's cache with pacman -Syu you can downgrade to the previous version of LXPanel which worked fine.
If you are like me and have already cleared you cache....a temporary solution (at least until a proper update arrives) is to remove lxpanel completely and install fbpanel which recognises the menu item nicely and looks like a lot with LXpanel.

Last edited by kamigr (2008-12-28 18:34:48)

#12 2008-12-28 05:18:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

kamigr wrote:

... snip ...

Personal opinion: Who on earth was agreed in uploading this update to LXpanel without (at least that is what we can guess from the results of it) proper testing huh? and during the holidays also??? Nice holyday gift man!

You can constructively voice your opinion without the negativity. If a package isn't working for you, you can grab the PKGBUILD and supporting files through either ABS or AUR (this is a community package), and rebuild with a version that worked for you.

#13 2008-12-28 06:04:45

skottish
Forum Fellow

Looks like I missed a bit. What Knives wrote is correct. It adds the new stuff required to get the menu functioning properly:

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=127

#14 2008-12-28 15:22:56

kamigr

skottish wrote:
kamigr wrote:

... snip ...

Personal opinion: Who on earth was agreed in uploading this update to LXpanel without (at least that is what we can guess from the results of it) proper testing huh? and during the holidays also??? Nice holyday gift man!

You can constructively voice your opinion without the negativity. If a package isn't working for you, you can grab the PKGBUILD and supporting files through either ABS or AUR (this is a community package), and rebuild with a version that worked for you.

Ok I apologize about my tone , but the fact is that im not the only one who has the same problem, and I do believe that there was no point in publishing this update in the main repositories since it causes so much trouble. Imagine that someone installs LXDE in order to try it for the first time... He will enter the DE and say "wow...no start menu...??? its out!" hmm

I bet that if an update was making for example KDE's menu to disappear there would have been much more negativity in the opinions here... I might be wrong of course roll

Last edited by kamigr (2008-12-28 15:23:18)

#15 2008-12-28 15:35:02

nirvanix

It is a bit upsetting to get borked like this, but we're all good guys ok - no one had the intention to cause this problem and we'll fix it together.

By the way, this new panel package seemed to screw up the battery monitor as well. It now reads 90000% charged.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

#16 2008-12-28 15:44:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

kamigr wrote:

Ok I apologize about my tone , but the fact is that im not the only one who has the same problem, and I do believe that there was no point in publishing this update in the main repositories since it causes so much trouble. Imagine that someone installs LXDE in order to try it for the first time... He will enter the DE and say "wow...no start menu...??? its out!" hmm

I bet that if an update was making for example KDE's menu to disappear there would have been much more negativity in the opinions here... I might be wrong of course roll

Actually this does happen, and there's a whole lot of threads that get shut down over it. When KDE or gnome packages break, lots of threads end up getting closed because they get out of hand quickly.  Don't get me wrong, people can voice their opinions here, we just want to keep it constructive.

In this case, it looks like the lx maintainer didn't know that all of the functionality of the lxpanel setup is no longer in one single package. The fact is that the lxpanel package itself seemed to upgrade just fine, but without the other two new packages, the menu doesn't work anymore. This was filed in the bug tracker and I expect that it will be handled quickly.

#17 2008-12-28 15:50:35

kgas

Thanks knives. As I read this forum I was ready to face the problem before -Syu. I rebuild the packages with the following source line for the packages. since the given pkgbuild failed to retrieve the .tar.gz packages.

source=(http://sourceforge.net/project/lxmenu-data-0.1.tar.gz)

source=(http://sourceforge.net/project/menu-cache-0.2.2.tar.gz)

source=(http://sourceforge.net/project/lxpanel-0.3.99.tar.gz)

menu-cache depends on intltool hence pacman -S intltool to install it.
Build menu-cache and menu-data packages and install them. Then build lxpanel and install it.

After the upgrade since you can not log out log out using Ctl+Alt_Bkspace (for beginners) and log in. Then add the menu item. Now things are neatly categorised and you can change the menu icon easily without editing the config file.

Hope this explanation will restore your menu items without any problem. :-P

Last edited by kgas (2008-12-28 15:53:19)

#18 2008-12-28 18:24:18

kamigr

skottish wrote:

Actually this does happen, and there's a whole lot of threads that get shut down over it. When KDE or gnome packages break, lots of threads end up getting closed because they get out of hand quickly.  Don't get me wrong, people can voice their opinions here, we just want to keep it constructive.

In this case, it looks like the lx maintainer didn't know that all of the functionality of the lxpanel setup is no longer in one single package. The fact is that the lxpanel package itself seemed to upgrade just fine, but without the other two new packages, the menu doesn't work anymore. This was filed in the bug tracker and I expect that it will be handled quickly.

Of course the particullar package has been updated fine...after all it is pacman the best of the best tool out there...;)
So if I understand correctly I have to re-build the LXpanel including the menu-cache  and lxmenu-data sources ...in order for the menu to be restored... right?

Last edited by kamigr (2008-12-28 18:25:30)

#19 2008-12-28 18:46:15

xaiviax

kamigr wrote:

Imagine that someone installs LXDE in order to try it for the first time... He will enter the DE and say "wow...no start menu...??? its out!" hmm

Don't need to imagine that, already did it  smile

#20 2008-12-28 19:01:01

Warper

Thanks to everyone for the input. I was a little bit reluctant to jump into the ABS/PKGBUILD train (due to a bad experience with Sabayon Linux) but I think all the feedback I have seen here is enough to push me into trying this solution until the new packages are in the repositories.
I was trying to show my son why do I like Arch over Ubuntu or Fedora, and even though the first impression was good (KISS, speed, personalization, the wiki and the forums) he (and I) found it weird that LXDE had no menu in a distro like this, but all this feedback has showed him the kind of community that backs Arch Linux.

I'll also try this solution and report the result on my clean install.

Warper

#21 2008-12-28 19:34:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

kamigr wrote:

Of course the particullar package has been updated fine...after all it is pacman the best of the best tool out there...;)
So if I understand correctly I have to re-build the LXpanel including the menu-cache  and lxmenu-data sources ...in order for the menu to be restored... right?

I'm guessing the setup that Knives has is going to be the default, which is to say, there will be three packages in the future. Whether or not the two new ones will be dependencies of the other, we'll find out soon enough.

Warper, ABS and AUR are two of the greatest strengths of Arch. Once you start to feel comfortable with them, you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.

#22 2008-12-29 22:11:33

nirvanix

Thanks for getting the fix out to the repository everybody! The earth is saved once again.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

#23 2008-12-30 00:35:41

Warper

I'd also like to thank everyone for his/her effort. Now the problem is solved in the repositories and a simple yaourt -Syu repaired everything.
This is the best distro all-around cool

Warper

#24 2008-12-30 19:08:16

karabaja4
Website

The package is updated but I'm still having some issues. When my X loads, and I click on the menu icon nothing opens. When I kill lxpanel and start it again from terminal menu works fine. Weird...

#25 2009-02-01 15:31:00

ap0

karabaja4 wrote:

The package is updated but I'm still having some issues. When my X loads, and I click on the menu icon nothing opens. When I kill lxpanel and start it again from terminal menu works fine. Weird...

the same here…

but not on every occasion. some boots are flawless and the menu is there

Last edited by ap0 (2009-02-01 15:36:10)

Board footer