You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-28 04:19:01

aqtrans

Transparent Systray?

I just set up a Compiz-Fusion standalone session (finally think I found my perfect setup cool ), and am using stalonetray right now, but the transparency for it is quite 'hack-y', having to use Esetroot and whatnot. I've tried Trayer, but it doesn't even show up as transparent.

Is there a system tray app that can be fully transparent?

Edit: Kind of related, but I have compiz-deskmenu all set up too, but it only displays every once in a while. It'll be working fine, then all of a sudden won't show up when I right-click on the desktop. If I switch to a different desktop, I can bring up the menu again.

Last edited by aqtrans (2008-12-28 06:15:23)

#2 2008-12-28 05:25:48

dav7

Re: Transparent Systray?

With a compositing windowmanager running, any app can be made transparent. The only downside is that the foreground text is as opaque as the background, which unless you want to dim the tray so you can focus on your work, is probably not what you want.

The utility you want is transset, and is packaged by that name too. There's also transset-df, and I'm not too sure what it does (it purports "added functionality") - at the very least it behaves like transset.

The general downside with transset is that it's unfortunately very slow - it takes less than a second for transset to "complete", but all the same it isn't "instant". It wasn't when I briefly tried compositing here anyway (stability issues forced me to disable it in the end), and I've heard slowness issues from here and there as well.

As an aside, some apps are built to support true, composited transparency, such as urxvt.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-12-28 06:18:03

aqtrans

Yeah I know Compiz can individually make any app transparent. But are there any systray apps that use the composited transparency?

#4 2008-12-28 07:59:33

moljac024

Xfce4-panel

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-12-28 21:33:08

oliwer
Website

Can you make xfce4-panel transparent with xcompmgr or Compiz ? Because I heard it only works with xfwm4's compositing manager.

#6 2009-01-10 21:05:55

pogeymanz

It works with Compiz, but not with xcompmgr.

#7 2009-01-11 04:06:21

fulloffur

This isn't really answering your question. But if you want your systray out of the way, you can consider putting it in the widget layer.

I had the same issue with the compiz-deskmenu too. Could not solve it, so I moved on to lxde....

Board footer