You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-29 01:52:30

Redrazor39

Does pacman -Rns <pkg> remove pkg + dependencies? (and more ?s)

I have read the pacman manual, but I just want to make sure.

I plan to remove Xfce4, compiz, and everything to do with it and replace that with KDEmod. I know, Xfce4 is great and I have a sweet setup, but I really want to use KDEmod. It's just so cool! I love KDE and this is optimized for Arch... what could be better?

Anyway, I'll try my best by first removing compiz, firefox, as many apps as possible that I remember installing, then I'll go on with removing xfce4 package and xfce4-goodies. Do you think that's enough? Is there some simple command that will just remove everything graphical? I wouldn't mind setting up X again as long as I get a clean slate.

Basically I want to know:

~Does pacman -Rns remove the package and all deps?

~Is there a simple command/set of commands to remove everything GUI and revert back to a clean slate as far as that goes? I don't want to reinstall Arch altogether, but I want to go back to the simple, clean command line with no graphical packages polluting my system so I can go on with KDEmod (optimum speed, etc.)

~Is there anything really terrible about KDEmod4 (latest) that I should know before proceeding? I would like to use the latest, and I've used KDE 4 and know its feature limitations, but that's not a huge showstopper for me. Is it terribly unstable? I don't work on anything too important on my Linux install (yet) but I don't want KDE to fail on me when I'm typing a big essay, etc. Would KDEmod4 be fine stability and feature wise for everyday use? I'd rather not revert to 3 because I just don't like it (and would probably just stay with Xfce), but if I can't use 4, then I can't.

~Lastly, how's Kwin for KDEmod? I used it back when I was checking out openSUSE and I like it more than Compiz-- it just feels simpler and the effects are nicer and more subtle, IMO.

Thanks for any help.

Update: My original question was only the first but now I'm not so sure this thread belongs in this forum. Mods please move it to a more appropriate forum (and delete this line) if applicable.

Last edited by Redrazor39 (2008-12-29 01:53:30)

#2 2008-12-29 02:02:55

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Does pacman -Rns <pkg> remove pkg + dependencies? (and more ?s)

"pacman -Rsn" will remove the target package and all packages that were installed as dependencies for that package that aren't required by any other packages. If you want to uninstall all GUI apps, just uninstall them in reverse order until you revert to what you want. You can see which packages are installed explicitly at the top of the hierarchy with "pacman -Qet".

Last edited by Xyne (2008-12-29 02:03:40)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2008-12-29 02:43:22

Redrazor39

Re: Does pacman -Rns <pkg> remove pkg + dependencies? (and more ?s)

Thanks! I've removed every trace of xfce and now installing kdemod.

Board footer