You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-29 02:43:00

rWarrior

Setting boot partition permanently

I've installed the 2008.03 x86_64 version of Archlinux using the Core ISO. I've set up my partitions as follows:

sda1: WinXp, NTFS
sda2: /boot, ext2
sda5: swap
sda6: /, ext3
sda7: /var, ReiserFS
sda8: /usr, ext3
sda9: /home, ext3

And Grub is installed to the /boot partition

Almost everything is work fine, but one problem that I am having is that the bootable partition is reset to the first partition (WinXP) after a shutdown (but not a restart).

Everytime when I want to go into Archlinux, the computer boots automatically into WinXp without running Grub.
I have to insert the install CD, run fdisk, unset sda1 as bootable, and set sda2 to bootable, restart the computer, in order to make Grub run. For some reason, every time the computer is powerd off (even when I don't access WinXP at all), the bootable partition is reset to the first partition.

My computer specifications:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E7200
2 x 2 GB OCZ RAM, gold edition
Seagate 750GB SATA 7200 RPM hard drive

Is there anything I did wrong?

Last edited by rWarrior (2008-12-29 02:43:34)

#2 2008-12-29 05:10:31

Super Jamie
Website

Re: Setting boot partition permanently

Sounds like a good Windows "feature", if your Windows partition is not bootable, mark it as such.

I'd install GRUB to MBR, chainloader to Windows, and boot Linux normally.

#3 2008-12-30 01:59:32

rWarrior

But how can the computer mark the Windows partition as bootable only after a complete power off, and not a restart? The Windows partition is marked as bootable even when I don't boot into Windows before powering off.

I initially installed Grub to /boot because of the manual's recommendation. I guess I'd have to install Grub to MBR if there is no other choice, but is there something I can try before resorting to that?

Thanks

Last edited by rWarrior (2008-12-30 02:00:48)

#4 2008-12-30 04:12:45

rWarrior

I found the answer somewhere else:

If you have Windows Vista on your first primary partition, use Easybcd.
If you have Windows XP on your first primary partition (like me), use bootpart. Below are the instructions by cyneuron taken from http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-499904.html

----

How To Dual Boot Windows XP And Ubuntu (Or Any Other Linux Distro) Without disturbing Windows Boot Loader Or Master Boot Record (MBR)

Benefit

Useful for novice user who is trying out Ubuntu (Or any other Linux Disto) for first time with windows xp pre-sintsalled already. Since by this method you don't temper with windows boot loader or master boot record, you can safely remove Ubuntu (or Linux) OS safely without casuing any trouble to your Windows XP later on.

Pre-requsite

This is not a guide to installing Ubuntu (or Linux). I assume you know how to actually install Ubuntu (or Linux) to your computer. Its just a way out to try out Ubuntu or Linux without casuing any hassles with windows xp, for people who wish to dual boot windows xp with Linux. (mainly novice or new users.)

How to Do It

1.Suppose your windows xp is installed on Drive C.
2.Suppose you have another partition in windows xp namely D.
3.Now you want to install Ubuntu or anyother Linux on remaining space.
4.When you install Ubuntu, Ubuntu collects all the information from you like language, keyboard layout. etc. then comes partitioning.
Here For example you create two partition,
(i). Swap = /sda/hda3
(ii). Root = /sda/hda4
5.Now in the last page, when ubuntu installer displays all information you have selected, there is a tab below : Advanced. Click this tab. It shows Grub installation location to be (hd0). Here, you got to make it (hd0,3).
[Explanation : In linux, partition starts from 0. so your C drive is (hd0,0). Your D Drive is (hd0,1). Your Swap partition is (hd0,2). And hence, your root partition is (hd0,3).
By default Ubuntu installer installs grub boot loade to (hd0), that is it overwrites MBR. (Though you can boot windows XP from GRUB menu also. It detects Windos xp
and shows it in the list when you boot.) But the problem arises when you wish to uninstall ubuntu (or Linux) later. here, when you format you linux partiton from windows xp, grub still remains as it was written to MBR of your hard disk.]

[ I have presented here a very simple configuration, but the mehtod and concept remains same. so if your partition setup s different, just apply simple logic and this method to know what to write in place of (hd0).]

[ This is the case with Ubuntu installer. In other linux distro's installer, there is always an option to change install location of Grub boot loader. So just do it by simply looking for the option in your Linux distro installer. ]

6. Now boot to your windows xp. Download a small program Bootpart (google it. its free and just few kb). Save tis to you C: drive. Unzip it. rename the folder as bootpart.

7. Open Run From Start Menu. type " cmdprmpt " or start MS-DOS command promp from Accesories in start Menu.

(i). In Command prompt type " cd\ ". Press enter. ( to get to location C;/)
(ii). Enter bootpart direcory by typing " cd bootpart". now type " bootpart ".

you will see a list, showing your partitions. Notice a line similar to below :

" 9 : D: type=83 (Linux native), size = 296944 KB "

Here this no . is 9 for linux native partition. Note the number in your case.

Then type this command : " bootpart 9 bootlinx.bin Linux ". [ replace no. 9 with your no.]

then close it and reboot. you will see Linux on boot list. select it. and you will get grub to boot your Linux OS.

8. Now if you wish to remove Ubuntu OS (or Linux) from your computer. Just boot in windows XP. Use any partitioning manger like Acronis Disk Director or Nortopn Partiton Magic, to remove Linux Partitions. The to remove Linux entry from windows boot loader, just " c:/boot.ini " in windows explorer location bar. A file will open up in notepad. Remove the last line showing Linux entry.

Here you have your computer in condition, similar to prior to installing Ubuntu (or Linux).

#5 2009-01-05 03:08:16

grndrush
Website

[Explanation : In linux, partition starts from 0. so your C drive is (hd0,0). Your D Drive is
(hd0,1). Your Swap partition is (hd0,2). And hence, your root partition is (hd0,3).

Not quite. Windows O/S'es (IIRC) do NOT support multiple primary partitions (for Windows' use, at least). The D: drive here is (hd0,4), to use the same syntax you used.

The extended partition is clearly partition 2 (hd0,1) - which is why Linux did/will grabbed (hd0,2) and (hd0,3).

NOTE: this doesn't cause any problems or obstacles (AFAICT) RE instaling Arch as suggested. I just wanted to point out where the O/P's D: drive is. They'll likely need to know someday.  smile

Q for the O/P: did you shrink your C: drive to make room for Linux, or are the Linux partitions way out at the end of the disk?

Last edited by grndrush (2009-01-05 03:11:56)

#6 2009-01-05 03:17:46

grndrush
Website

But how can the computer mark the Windows partition as bootable only after a complete power off, and not a restart?

I'm quite sure that was due to your doing a "Cold-Boot" vs a "Warm-Boot" - sortof like 'reboot' vs 'init 1' in Linux...

Last edited by grndrush (2009-01-05 03:31:36)

Board footer