You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-29 23:07:56

ironwiller

Nvidia 8600gt with DVI to HDMI cable on Samsung 32'' screen

hi, got setup arch on a friend's pc with the title's featured for viewing...although that is viewable we cannot make it work properly (with the same quality as it is on windows...which is day and night...), is there any options which we can work on them for getting the best quality because of the connection? i tried from nvidia-settings but i cannot find any option for "cable changing"..what should i change to make this work properly? (the current display is 1024x768. he wants big letters for easier reading..)

ty in advanced

#2 2008-12-31 14:16:29

Cheesebaron
Website

Re: Nvidia 8600gt with DVI to HDMI cable on Samsung 32'' screen

Run native resolution and use a higher DPI.

#3 2009-02-01 12:54:43

linfan

Re: Nvidia 8600gt with DVI to HDMI cable on Samsung 32'' screen

I have nvidia 8400m gs and hda-intel, hdmi just does not work properly. The resolution is by default wrong and does not fit into the screen. If I use 1920x1080 the text is almost unreadable. Further, hdmi+audio does not work at all. I use nvidia-xconfig to set up X and NVIDIA X Server Settings in gnome to choose the TV screen. I have a 32'' Samsung flat screen tv.

VGA cable works for video and sound with an audio cable from laptop headphones to TV PC in. The resolution is quite ok - 1360-768 and sound works thru the tv speakers.

What I have found googling is quite contradictory. But it seems nvidia hdmi on linux is not yet fully implemented. ATI Radeon on the other hand seems to work better.

As the hdmi cables are quite expensive, especially the gold plated ones, I would discourage linux users for the moment to have too high expectations on getting hdmi+audio to work for nvidia cards, at least not on hp pavilion notebooks. It might also be a question of hp notebooks with nvidia not having any connector between the graphics card and the audio card, as the audio is being transmitted over the hdmi port. However, HP is quite uninterested in support, and plucking asunder a laptop is not that appealing to find out audio chips and eventually missing connectors between sound card and video card.

To sum it up, vga is better for the moment.

Last edited by linfan (2009-02-01 13:35:51)

Board footer