You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-31 04:50:19

omgwtfbyobbq

VM management [solvedish]

I'm having memory weirdness when it fills up. What seems to happen is that the OOM killer can't even do it's job effectively because memory is saturated. I'd be lucky to ctrl+alt+backspace in order to kill X and free some memory before it slowed to molasses. Tweaking the lowmem_reserve_ratio to a fifth of capacity across the board seems to have helped a great deal w/ the OOM Killer's ability to kill stuff and the system hasn't seemed to freeze, but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to set the contents of vm to given a gig of ram and frequent/high memory usage regarding that parameter as well as the others.

Edit

Setting /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory to 1 seems to result in stuff crashing if there isn't enough memory, which is preferable to having the system chug to the point of locking up and having to be power cycled, although I think tweaking oom killer's code so that it doesn't include the time the program has been up in determining what it kills would be the best approach, since it should kill the biggest memory hog outright instead of trying to kill smaller processes while the one big memory hog continues to hoover up space.

Last edited by omgwtfbyobbq (2009-07-08 08:23:43)

Board footer