You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-31 12:24:08

Predatorian

corrupt packages cause pacman to fail system upgrade

hello all,

I'm still a newbie, and i wanted to try arch linux cause im eager to learn about how it works.
i was able to get arch installed on a virtual machine. logged in under my account, and attempted to perform a system upgrade. i issued

sudo pacman -Syu

the upgrade started to work, so i did other things on my other computer, the computer went to sleep mode, and the upgrade failed because of corrupt packages. so i turned off sleep mode and let the upgrade continue again, and then it said i couldnt continue with the upgrade, i had to issue

sudo pacman -Sc

to clear the cache, and then it worked. but, the packages were still corrupt. i was able to get through the core, and testing, but when i get to extra packages, i get the corrupt packages.

is there something i should do differently? a different server, or repos? thanks for any help.

#2 2008-12-31 12:36:46

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: corrupt packages cause pacman to fail system upgrade

Don't clear the whole cache if a package is corrupted.  Just clear the package pacman is saying is corrupted (in fact, pacman asks you if you want to delete it).  The try updating again.  If the package is corrupted again, try changing mirror and file a bug report with the package and problem mirror in it.

#3 2008-12-31 13:33:51

Predatorian

the upgrade worked, i had to change to a different mirror. but now i have a different error. it says

error: could no prepare transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
klibc: /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm/asm-offsets.h exists in filesystem
errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

would i just delete that package and do the upgrade again?

#4 2008-12-31 14:00:24

wonder
Developer
Website

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2008-12-31 14:01:22

Lachkater

pacman -Suf should fix your problem.

#6 2008-12-31 17:48:40

Predatorian

the klibc fix did the trick, thanks guys.

#7 2008-12-31 18:06:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Lachkater - please read man pacman before you give advice like that. The correct solution to the klibc issue is provided in the linked news item, and does not require the use of the -f/--force flag. On the very rare occasion when that flag is required, it should be used for a single package only, and definitely not for a full system upgrade, as you suggested.

#8 2008-12-31 18:17:26

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

tomk wrote:

Lachkater - please read man pacman before you give advice like that. The correct solution to the klibc issue is provided in the linked news item, and does not require the use of the -f/--force flag. On the very rare occasion when that flag is required, it should be used for a single package only, and definitely not for a full system upgrade, as you suggested.

I need to second this, strongly.

Board footer