You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-02 19:04:54

GalacticArachnid
Website

Yet Another Keyboard Question

Hello there!!!

Yet Another Keyboard Question, but with a twist! - I should have said tongue

Basically, whilst there is a dell, and even a dell latitude variant provided in xorg.lst, it doesn't quite do it for me. -for one, scroll lock does not turn on! But I dot get Fn+key access to the sudo-numpad, just have to hold Fn down sad

Also, I want to write a decent UK Dvorak and UK Programmers Dvorak variant.

From what I have been able to find on the web, after a few fair weeks of research, I kind of have a few question; like for example, if creating a *.map.gz in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/, is this the most efficient method of doing so? -As I've seen many solutions to creating keymaps, but I'm not sure which are the better/not obsolete/more flexible solution(s)...

Another thing that greatly interests me is mapping keys to programs. Now I came across a file somewhere once which had this, plus all the keycode definitions (im guessing showkey references to it), but I can no longer find it - I would like to be able to map things like Fn+F8 to eject my cd/umount/open if not mounted/the such).

Now since we are on this subject, can anyone suggest to me an optimal method for mapping other Fn keys to control volume (im guessing they will need to be mapped a volume control app?).

-- I have found solutions to all of these, _but_ I do not know how to implement some of these- as the instructions there do not match my system (potentially obselete articles I guessing), and all of them, funny enought, do not seem to have consistncy between each other...

Thanks people, and sorry for the essay^ tongue

big_smile

#2 2009-01-02 19:10:14

GalacticArachnid
Website

Re: Yet Another Keyboard Question

Oh, also, Im posting this in Desktop Environments rather than laptops because a) I done so in the wrong tab and b) The solution is for CLI and X c) And Im doing the same thing for my desktop. Mostly a).

big_smile

Board footer