You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-04 16:39:42

ybotspawn

Not a noob but...

Ok I don't really consider myself a noob but I'm dealing with a problem that feels like it's gonna be a DUH answer... Recently when I open firefox it takes up the whole screen.  THe file, edit, view, history, etc appear at the very top of the screen.  It's like it's not talking to the window manager.... For the record I'm using latest gnome/compiz packages, not from testing repo's  Any ideas?

Thanks!

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#2 2009-01-04 16:57:55

SamC
Website

Re: Not a noob but...

Hit f11? That togles fullscreen in firefox.

#3 2009-01-04 17:06:59

alex_anthony

I had the same problem

SamC wrote:

Hit f11? That togles fullscreen in firefox.

Yes this works but it starts up in full screen every time

I couldn't work out what setting I had wrong so i made a new profile, made a list of my addons and installed them and copied my bookmarks across. Result - almost exactly the same as what I had started with but without this fullscreen thing and only a couple of settings wrong.

#4 2009-01-04 17:22:36

ybotspawn

Entire new user profile? WTF?  Thats annoying and yes f11 just puts it into full screen mode, but doesn't add the window border, it's really weird. Even if I hit f11 right now, it just puts firefox into full screen mode, as if it's not right now, but it really is...if that makes sense

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#5 2009-01-04 20:48:06

CursedMonkey

This problem has been posted here before.

The fix is to press f11 twice to get the title bar and unmaximize it, or right click the taskbar entry and unmaximize it.
Then resize it by moving and shrinking it so that the window is smaller than your screen. You can also use the resize option in the taskbar.
Then restart firefox, and it should start up unmaximized.
Maximize it and restart it and it should be working again.

#6 2009-01-04 20:56:25

tjwoosta

yes i had this same issue

first make sure you are not in fullscreen mode by hitting the f11 key

after you have exited fullscreen mode you can click and drag the bottom right corner to make the window smaller

after the window is smaller just go to the menu and quit

when you reopen firefox it should be small and not off-screen like before

(also im not sure if it will help you or not but usually you can hold alt and click the left mouse button anywhere to move a window)

#7 2009-01-04 22:26:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

ybotspawn - although I appreciate your reasoning in this case, we would prefer if thread titles referred to the subject under discussion.

#8 2009-01-04 22:44:16

moljac024

tomk wrote:

ybotspawn - although I appreciate your reasoning in this case, we would prefer if thread titles referred to the subject under discussion.

Was about to say that. A meaningful thread title might yield more visits to the thread, and therefore more answers.

Last edited by moljac024 (2009-01-04 22:45:03)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer