You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 01:17:20

Narcissus
Website

Asus EEE PC Garbled text

Hey everyone, this is my first time using Arch Linux.. and it's taken me about 2 hours just to get the .img onto a USB stick and working...

Anyway, here's my problem. I boot up my Asus EEE Pc 901 and boot into the Archlive image on my usb stick.

I'm using the 2008.06 686 image. What happens is, GRUB loads, but doesn't display anything, I press enter and it begins to boot up as expected. But 4 lines down, after vmlinuz is loaded the text goes garbled and unreadable. It still boots, and I can even login as root later and run /arch/setup... but I still can barely read anything.

Someone suggested removing splashimage=/boot/splash.xpm.gz from the menu.lst, which I did, but it didn't change anything.

My menu.lst is here: http://pastebin.com/m37c4544a

Thanks in advance

Narcissus

Open Source. Open Mind.

#2 2009-01-05 04:06:45

quantumphaze

Re: Asus EEE PC Garbled text

Sounds like a framebuffer issue

Firstly, see if this happens in other (not Xandros) distros?

Try to add the kernel option "vga=ask" in Grub. You may have to type blindly if the Grub screen is distorted too.
This will give you a menu of supported framebuffer resolutions. Pick the one that looks least likely to screw up (the smallest), then trial and error if that doesn't work.

If using vga=ask doesn't give the menu (ie: the menu is distorted) there may be a deeper problem that you will have to wait for someone who has an Eee PC to help you.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#3 2009-01-05 18:27:57

Narcissus
Website

Re: Asus EEE PC Garbled text

Managed to fix it by removing everything to do with splash - works fine without those

Open Source. Open Mind.

Board footer