You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 19:51:46

arch_nemesis

Cairo-Dock -- problems if autostarted

So, I've got cairo-dock on my system, and have no real problems with it *as long as* I start it with alt-f2 after I log in.

If I start it with an entry in system-->preferences-->sessions, it *appears* to start fine, and is almost completely fine, *except* that the launcher I have there for starting nautilus won't actually launch nautilus.  I don't think it matters in this case, but the command I'm using is "nautilus --no-desktop --browser".  All other launchers and the dock itself function perfectly.

If, on the other hand, I wait until I'm logged in and start it with alt-f2, everything is fine. 

I've tried a simple script (as I do with conky) where it just sleeps a certain number of seconds, then runs cairo-dock, but even if I extend the sleep out to more than 2 minutes (which is longer than I wait before running it with alt-f2) it behaves the same as if I started with an entry in "sessions".

I've also tried deleting that launcher and creating a new one a couple of times, but with no effect.

This isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to start it automatically.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks!

#2 2009-01-05 20:01:23

zhuqin

Re: Cairo-Dock -- problems if autostarted

hi, I'm the maitainer ot the pkg. cairo-dock does have a small autostart script in it, give that a try.

#3 2009-01-05 21:17:21

arch_nemesis

Thanks zhugin, but where do I look for that?  I've looked in usr/share/cairo-dock and in ~/.config/cairo-dock.  I also don't see anything in the configuration GUI (but I'll check again since there's a lot there, I might have missed it).

#4 2009-01-07 14:53:23

zhuqin

/usr/bin/launch-cairo-dock-after-beryl.sh

#5 2009-01-07 18:31:34

arch_nemesis

This is kind of bizarre.

That script is effectively the same as the script I was already trying to use myself.  I tried it anyway, and just as before cairo-dock seems to run fine and every other launcher works, but my nautilus one does not.

So, stabbing in the dark, I created a script file which contains the same command I was using in the launcher.  I tried the script to make sure that it does indeed run nautilus, and it does.

Then, I pointed the launcher at that script instead of having it run the command directly.  (I don't know why I thought it would make a difference, but...)

So, what I wound up with is cairo-dock being launched by /usr/bin/launch-cairo-dock-after-beryl.sh upon login, and the nautilus launcher running a script to launch nautilus -- and it still doesn't work.

Just as before, however, if I exit cairo-dock then restart it, it works fine, and if I launch cairo-dock myself after I'm logged in, it works fine.

Weird.

Last edited by arch_nemesis (2009-01-07 20:14:25)

#6 2009-03-22 16:02:23

porter

I am having the same problem, but using different tools.

I am running Ubuntu 8.10, and two different launchers: a graphical one called "wbar" and a hot-key program called "xbindkeys".

In both cases, if I start these two launcher programs manually from a shell, then I can use them to launch other programs (terminal, firefox, whatever) and also nautilus.

But if I try to auto-start these launcher programs from ~/.config/autostart, I can launch the other programs, but nautilus does nothing.

I tried to do some debugging: wrapping nautilus in a short shell script that captures the output from "env" and "set" to see if there are differences in the environment.  But I could not come up with anything useful.

I am interested in hearing what you find out.

Alan

#7 2009-03-22 22:32:12

porter

This same set-up (wbar, xbindkeys, launching from ~/.config/autostart) used to work in Ubuntu 8.04.

I think something has changed recently in nautilus.

Alan

Board footer