You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-06 04:03:25

Gullible Jones

automount in ROX without ivman

Seeing as ivman is buggy, unmaintained, and no longer in the repositories, I'm wondering if there's a way make ROX automount without it. I'm thinking
- I go to /dev and click on a device
- ROX mounts it to a dir in /media with pmount
- If I unmount it, ROX uses pumount

How to use pumount is obvious enough, but pmount is a problem... According to ROX I can't set actions for files in /dev. Is there some other way I can make ROX mount stuff through pmount?

#2 2009-01-06 13:53:53

Gullible Jones

Re: automount in ROX without ivman

A thought just struck me... Is it possible to put something in /etc/hal/fdi/policy to make HAL use pmount on removable media? Anyone? I'd really prefer not to use ivman, it is quite frankly crap.

Last edited by Gullible Jones (2009-01-06 13:54:15)

#3 2009-01-06 18:24:34

synorgy
Website

Well, ivman is now in the aur and is patched to build against the newer versions of hal and dbus. As soon as I can, I'm going to be modifying the PKGBUILD to include a patch to allow for sane conditionals.

but I would expect that you could look over the Hal page in the wiki and create rules for each device you want automounted, and then set up ROX to have pumount on the relevant folders. (keep in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about with ROX, as I never use it...)

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#4 2009-01-06 19:41:31

oliwer
Website

Yous should post your idea on the ROX mailing list Jones. I think it's a great idea.

For now, ROX can only automount with mount. So here is what I'm doing :
* mkdir /mnt/usb{1,2,3}
* in your fstab you associate your usb{1,2,3} dirs with sdb1, sdc1 and sdd1. The FS type is set to auto.
* then, to mount your usb key, you just have to go to /mnt and click on usb1

The major inconvenience of this method is that mount does not support NTFS-3g. For that I launch Nautilus. Apart from that, it's easy and it works.

Board footer