You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-06 12:34:48

nikki

Ogre 3D 'glGetString' Problem, May Be Driver Issue

Hello! smile

I'm relatively new to Arch Linux, all I did till now was install it and get X running with the 'awesome' window manager. I must say, I like it, especially pacman, AUR and ABS.

I'm a hobbyist programmer and I generally write graphics applications (games) with Ogre 3D. I decided to get Ogre 3D and build it. I got the latest SVN HEAD, and built it, it built fine. However, when I run a sample, I get the following error (which occurs right when it tries to create the GLX subsystem):-

OgreGLSupport.cpp:57: virtual void Ogre::GLSupport::initialiseExtensions: Assertion `pcVer && "Problems getting GL version string using glGetString"' failed

I've run Ogre 3D applications both on Windows and Ubuntu on this very same laptop, so I don't think its a hardware issue. It may be a driver issue though. I have 'xf86-video-intel' installed, and hotplugging turned off with "AutoAddDevices" "False" in xorg.conf. 'lspci | grep VGA' gives:-

Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

It is possible that it's an Ogre specific issue, but I still thought I'd mention it here because it could also have to do with drivers and other configuration stuff.

To check whether glGetString() works, I took the program from the second NeHe tutorial and modified it to spit out glGetString results, and it says "Vendor: Mesa Project, Renderer: Software Rasterizer, Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.2".

I've also run some other graphics applications (the Bullet physics engine (which I just built today) demos), and they run much slower than how they did on Windows and Ubuntu.

Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help! wink

Last edited by nikki (2009-01-06 12:41:27)

#2 2009-07-06 19:56:48

lucasdemarchi
Website

Re: Ogre 3D 'glGetString' Problem, May Be Driver Issue

I'm having this very same problem, but with an ATI card. I tried all the 3 available drivers: radeon, radeonhd and catalyst. With first two I have this problem and with the latter a messy window.

#3 2009-07-07 01:12:09

sand_man

GL extensions missing maybe? Its been a while since I played with OpenGL so that's just a guess. But then again, the extensions should be part of the driver right?

neutral

#4 2009-07-07 01:24:44

lucasdemarchi
Website

Humnn... I don't know. How I "solved" it today: downgrade xorg-server to 1.5.3, catalyst to 9.4 and kernel to 2.6.28. Now I have my game working again. I think it was only a problem with the driver... I'll try to upgrade asap.

Board footer