You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-10 23:09:25

yama

Not able to access shared samba folders

Have used ubuntu on my fileserver for some time now and wanted to make the switch to Arch. But this didnt go as smooth as i thought. For the last hours i have not been able to figure out what i am doing wrong. I am using pyNeighborhood to access the shared folders from my main computer(as i did when using Ubuntu). I am able to see the shared folder but i am not able to access it. I get the message that its not able to mount. The same message as i get when trying from a MS computer (yes. i am afraid i need windows for gaming).

I followed the guide in the archwiki. So i have only installed the samba package.

pyNeighborhood
I have putted down "WORKGROUP" as workgroup. I have unchecked anonymous logins. The mount folder is /home/USERNAME/Server as when i used Ubuntu. "smbclient" and "nmblookup" are the client an lookup command. smbmount and smbumount are the mount and unmount command for samba. mount.cifs and umount.cifs is the commands for cifs. MC is installed... On me eee lappy i have the same setup. Which also worked like a charm with ubuntu... This worked yesterday and i can not remember to have updated any of the packages since yesterday.

In windows
i have putted down "WORKGROUP" is the workgroup. And whatever other settings are as default. It worked like a charm when i had Ubuntu installed. And i can enter the machine but i am not able to access the shares. I get the message that say something like not enough permissions.

i have made a account like i did on Ubuntu and added it to samba with smbpasswd -a "USERNAME" (used same password as on the machine).

I forgot to backup the smb.conf file and i cant seem to find the system-config-samba that did the trick for me on Ubuntu. I didnt check over the conf file either so i cant compare them from whats stored in me head.

Here is the smb.conf file.

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server
security = user
netbios name = %h
encrypt passwords = yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1. 192.168.62. 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 500

SHARED

[Pictures]
  comment = Pictures
  path = /home/USERNAME/pic
  valid users = USERNAME
  public = no
  read only = no (read that this can be used so that logged on users get both read and write permission)

Will be forever grateful if someone can be so kind and help me.

Last edited by yama (2009-01-11 00:14:55)

#2 2009-01-10 23:21:00

mvdvarrier

Re: Not able to access shared samba folders

Hello
According to your smb.conf you have given permission only to a single user
Please ensure that you have added your user name as a samba user by issuing;
#smbpasswd -a USERNAME
Substitute USERNAME with your real user name and provide a password
Don't forget to start samba daemon.Wish you good luck.
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#3 2009-01-11 00:13:52

yama

yes i have only added one user to the "valid users". is there some other command i need to use when i do not add more then one users? or i can just make another user if that will fix it.

I have executed the command smbpasswd -a "USERNAME" to add the user to samba. sorry for not making it clear in my original post (seems like i have just done smbpasswd -a without the USERNAME from whats written) so its updated. 

thanks. think i need it hmm

#4 2009-01-11 00:53:11

mvdvarrier

yama wrote:

yes i have only added one user to the "valid users". is there some other command i need to use when i do not add more then one users? or i can just make another user if that will fix it.

I have executed the command smbpasswd -a "USERNAME" to add the user to samba. sorry for not making it clear in my original post (seems like i have just done smbpasswd -a without the USERNAME from whats written) so its updated. 

thanks. think i need it hmm

Hello,
If you want to allow another user to access the folder just add the name of the new user in the "valid users" line in the /etc/samba/smb.conf
valid users = username1, username2, username3
and so on. You can also add a group of users by adding
valid users = @groupname
Provided that the users to you want to give access must be the members of the mentioned group.
If you want to give full access to some users on your shared folder   then make a group named "commons" of such users (you can use any name as you wish). i.e if you want to give full access to users x,y,z then
#groupadd commons
Then add your users to the newly created group by editing the /etc/group file and modify the line
commons:x:1001:
as
commons:x:1001:x,y,z
and save the changes.
Then add
valid users = @commons
then restart samba server. Issuing a command named "testparm" will check the smb.conf file for syntax errors and warn you on such errors. Then you have full access to all the users of commons group on the shared folder.
As you   allows only the 192.168.0.0/24 , 192.168.1.0/24 and localnetwork
ensure that the ipaddress of the arch and other systems belong to either 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 net works.
wish you good luck!
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

Board footer