You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 00:34:51

SteveyDevey

X hangs after new install

Coming from more of a FreeBSD background than linux, I like the philosophy of Arch so far, but I've run into a stumbling block or two. The current one has me a bit more stumped though.

I've got Xorg installed per these directions, but when I go to try starting X for the first time, using the newly created conf it just hangs. I thought maybe it wasn't happy with my choice of xf86-video-nv so I also tried just using vesa, but it does the same thing there too.

The only clue I've had is when I create the conf using 'Xorg -configure', it spits out something quite similar to "G80 PROBE_DETECT unimplemented" -- but only when I've got the nvidia driver loaded. When i only have vesa it doesn't show that error.

Anybody have any ideas, or can point me in the right direction?

#2 2009-01-11 00:51:20

ghostHack

Re: X hangs after new install

You might be running into the xorg hotplugging issues.  The latest version of X.org uses hal for input hotplugging (unless you explicitly turn it off).  This Wkik article might help you.

#3 2009-01-11 02:41:54

SteveyDevey

Re: X hangs after new install

Thanks a bunch. That at least got it so it's not hanging when coming up. I appreciate the help, I don't think I would have guessed this was the problem, so you saved me some serious time. smile

For the record, adding this to my conf file got me running:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

Board footer