You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 03:13:24

Redrazor39

LXDE... Good for a sort of recent system? Easy to set up fully? Etc.?

I would like to know more about LXDE. I've checked out the website, read tons from the internet, but now I want user opinions and answers.

My system is a laptop (Sony VAIO VGN-SZ430N) with 2GB RAM, 2 GHZ dual core processor, 335MB video RAM, and a bunch of bells and whistles like encryption chips, built in webcam/mic, fingerprint scanner, etc.

Arch Linux works, although I've had some trouble getting some things like printing, power management, etc. working properly.

Anyway, I would like to check out LXDE, but my only experience is installing it in Arch on this system alongside other DEs like Xfce or KDE, which loaded LXDE with a bunch of crap and totally screwed up the panels, so that's not exactly a good idea. I need a reinstall because I loaded my Arch install with a bunch of junk and I need a fresh start, so I was thinking of installing LXDE as my main (and preferably only) GUI. I just need to know if it is easy enough to set up LXDE to my liking without bloating it so much I should just stick to Xfce (which isn't that much lighter than GNOME or KDE, from what I've seen, and I don't even like it that much).

So can it be done? Beautifying LXDE and getting printing and other above things working well on it easily enough (that is, without spending too many hours on these things)?

How would apps work? What are some recommended apps for web browsing, office, etc.?

Thanks for any help.

#2 2009-01-11 03:55:16

fulloffur

Re: LXDE... Good for a sort of recent system? Easy to set up fully? Etc.?

I have used lxde for about, urm... three weeks. I think there isn't much to say about it. If you talk about beautifying, the interface is basically gtk. So if you have a nice gtk theme and all your apps are gtk based, then that's it.

Almost everything about lxde is standalone.

I don't think there's a printing system. You just have to configure your printers via the cups web interface.

And there's no power management. Although, there's the suspend and hibernate buttons, you probably have to set those up manually.

Openoffice, firefox are gtk-themed, so there's a constant look.

Personally, with the stuff your system have, you might be better off with a full-fledge DE like gnome and kde.

#3 2009-01-11 04:05:13

Redrazor39

so what you're saying is my computer is powerful enough that it's more trouble than it's worth to set up lxde just right for my system, right?

Also, I HATE GNOME. It's just wrong in so many ways to me. KDE(mod) is nice, but then I'd have to wait until the 25th for 4.2 because I don't like KDE 3 and 4.1.3 isn't stable for me.

sad now I don't know what to do. Could someone recommend some DEs/WMs for me? I've never used a WM except wmii for about 3 days then I got sick of the horrid appearance.

So, suggestions for my system?

#4 2009-01-11 05:05:12

ShadowKyogre
Website

I recommend E17 if you want beauty and resources in mind. It's fast and lets you do lots of things w/it's gui.

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#5 2009-01-11 05:10:42

fulloffur

I guess what i'm saying is that, lxde simply just gives you a desktop, window manager and panel. And a nice way the change your gtk themes and icon... That's basically it. No frills, no complications.

But stuff like webcam, suspend functions, finger-reader, intergrated apps, fine-tuning of themes and stuff like that are also missing.

The standard answer about choosing DE or WM is simply to try them. LXDE is light enough for a quick install. It similar enough to the standard interface, there should be no trouble getting used to it.

#6 2009-01-11 15:50:09

Redrazor39

thanks for clarifying that about lxde. Now I know what they mean when they say it's suited for older computers.

I was checking out the e17 website and it seems really cool. I've heard a lot about it too. Tell me, how do I install it and what would be a good set of basic apps for web browsing, office, etc. that suit e17 well? 

Otherwise I'm leaning towards kdemod when 4.2 comes out.

#7 2009-01-11 16:21:54

SLKDK

LXDE is awesome. Been using it for couple of months now.

My laptop running Arch+LXDE:

Clean:
desktop_clean_big_thumb.jpg

Messy:
desktop_messy_big_thumb.jpg

My laptop is powerfull enough to run Gnome or KDE4 but I love it simple. Like Openbox - but I can't live without a panel, so instead of using Openbox + some panel, I just use LXDE wich uses Openbox as window manager.

PCmanFM is also a killer filebrowser. Fast and simple.

#8 2009-01-11 16:45:40

Redrazor39

That... is...AWESOME!!!

Any chance you could post some short guide with links to packages as to how to set up LXDE to look like that? I like everything but the gtk control (sorry, just not my style), but otherwise it's AMAZING!!! I didn't know LXDE could be so beautiful!

I first got interest in LXDE when I tried it out and everything was instant. Even starting X + LXDE took 1-2 seconds whereas even Xfce takes a full 10.

Btw, PLEASE post that wallpaper. I LOVE IT!

Also, I don't like PCManFM. I know, weird, but is there any way to completely remove PCManFM and use Thunar in its place? Managing the desktop and all? Maybe trash functionality (which I don't even use, really, it's more of an annoyance to take out the stupid trash than to just get rid of whatever I deleted)?

#9 2009-01-11 16:58:31

SLKDK

* Install LXDE, either all packages in the group "LXDE" or as single modules - eg. don't install pcmanfm if you don't wan't to. Thats the beauty of LXDE, everything is module-based, so you can pick only the things you like.
* With lxappearance you can change the gtk theme (download some gtk themes that you like.)
* With obconf you can change the way openbox look and behave.
* Install thunar instead if you want. I have turned off the option that makes LXDE (pcmanfm) control the desktop (background, icons etc.) and just uses 'feh' to set a background.
* Install wbar - it's the OSX-like menu that I use. You can go with cairo-dock instead if you want.
* Install conky - it's the info-bar on the left. Search around here on archlinux.org for some configs for conky.

That's about it to customize LXDE the way I have.

#10 2009-01-11 16:58:48

alex_anthony

Yes, you can make LXDE look nice and you can always add in some config tools from gnome/xfce if you need your configuration in guis and aren't too worried about dependencies. With a system like yours, you could try LXDE with compiz, or even compiz standalone.

New tools are being added to LXDE all the time. And some of the major gnome config stuff works fine without gnome. I've heard of people using gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver in openbox. And you can use wicd for your network, which doesn't need gnome, and system-config-printer, the config tool ubuntu uses for printers, doesn't need the whole of gnome.

Out of interest, what don't you like about gnome? The old standard Configurations trouble?

#11 2009-01-11 17:15:26

Redrazor39

Wow. I think I'll just remove xfce and all the stuff and just start from scratch with LXDE along with some other packages I want. I'll just have to make that list...

~LXDE -PCManFM +Thunar probably
~system-config-printer
~I've heard a lot about laptop-mode-tools and how great it is in LXDE. I need a good power manager that works.
~Firefox for web browsing, although I hate that slow beast, it's probably my best shot as far as compatibility with web pages and overall use goes (unless someone could suggest a nicer browser for linux?
~Openoffice (sigh) unless there's a better alternative? I would use abiword but I hate that it has it's own stupid .abw format. If only it could use .odt by default and had MS Office filters just as good as openoffice!

Um.. ya

Also, is there any one simple command that will remove ALL of my GUI tools except for X11 (and my xorg.conf)? I don't like package hunting and deleting in small groups. Or if I did remove X11, then would all my apps like firefox and gimp that require a GUI be removed as well?

Last edited by Redrazor39 (2009-01-11 17:18:36)

#12 2009-01-11 18:31:36

bgc1954

The pacman -Q command is helpful to see all the packages installed on your system.  There are other commands to find package dependencies as well, see here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman
Then just pick and choose what you want to keep or delete and add what you like.  Pacman is your friend. big_smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#13 2009-01-11 18:51:24

Redrazor39

Ty!!! Xfce is now off my system. I'm not sure whether to install e17 or lxde now sad

Thoughts?

#14 2009-01-11 18:58:48

pyther
Website

Install both see which one you like...
I personally love openbox, but I use openbox, a systray, and conky (not lxde). However my setup isn't for everyone. Personally e17 has to much eye candy for my tastes.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#15 2009-01-11 19:09:52

Redrazor39

Ok I'm trying out e17 and you're right. They really do go overboard with the eye candy, and it's just not fun to use.

Now off to LXDE!

#16 2009-01-11 19:09:53

mandog

Both E17 & Lxde are very fast both can be used with Gnome bits. Lxde works with compiz,  Thunar can sort out auto mounting and permission you can also use some bits from the Larch repro like a little program to change users and groups, change keyboard etc,  Add Shaman as a graghical package manager you can quickly add remove repros with Shaman, all these work with both desktops.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

Board footer