You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 23:23:55

mekwall

Keyboard keymap reverted to default (US), ignoring xorg.conf

Hello there fellow Archers!

My first post on this forum but certainly not the last! I'm a new user of Archlinux, just switched from Xubuntu so bear with me if I seem a bit lost. cool

Update: I might have posted this in the wrong forum. Wasn't really sure where to post it since my problem is dealing with both unstable and git packages. If so, plesae move it to where it's best suited! smile

Anyway, this is just one of the few problems that I haven't managed to figure out on my own, yet. I'm a proud owner of a Acer Aspire One, but since not everything is working out-of-box I'm experimenting with git packages that I've been compiling with the help of ABS.

Whenever I start X, the keyboards keymap is reverted back to default (US), even though it seems it does read the xorg.conf, as seen in the log below. Funniest thing is, when I run 'setxkbmap -v 10' this is what I get:

Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Applied rules from xorg:
model:      pc105
layout:     se
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+se
geometry:   pc(pc105)

Suddenly the keymap is set correctly, according to what I've specified in xorg.conf.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
       Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "True"
       Option "AutoAddDevices"      "False"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "Default Layout"
       Screen      0  "Default Screen" 0 0
       InputDevice    "Touchpad" "AlwaysCore"
       InputDevice    "Integrated Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
       InputDevice    "Logitech VX Nano" "CorePointer"
EndSection

... (cut out irrelevant parts)

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Integrated Keyboard"
       Driver      "Keyboard"
       #Option      "CoreKeyboard"
       Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
       Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
       Option      "XkbLayout" "se"
       #Option       "XkbKeymap" "se"
       #Option      "XkbVariant" "euro"
       #Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

(The disabled keyboard options are stuff I've been testing to see if it had any impact, which they didn't.)

Xorg.0.log:

(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Integrated Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Integrated Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Integrated Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Integrated Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "se"
(**) Integrated Keyboard: XkbLayout: "se"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Integrated Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Integrated Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)

packages (git and unstable) I've compiled and installed without errors:

dri2proto-git-20090111
libx11-1.1.99.2
xf86-input-keyboard-git-20090111
inputproto-1.5.0
libxcb-1.1.93
intel-dri-git-20090111
mesa-git-20090111
libdrm-2.4.3
pixman-0.13.2
xf86-video-intel-2.5.99.2
libgl-git-20090111
randrproto-1.2.99.3
xf86driproto-git-20090111
libpthread-stub-0.1
xf86-input-evdev-2.1.0
xorg-server-1.5.99.3

Last edited by mekwall (2009-01-11 23:27:15)

#2 2009-01-12 01:15:55

Mektub

Re: Keyboard keymap reverted to default (US), ignoring xorg.conf

mekwall,

probably you should have posted in the newbie forum.

Anyhow: the latest X versions ignore the keyboard section in xorg. First of all read it here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging

If problems remain then comeback.

Dont forget to install xf86-input-evdev if not already there.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2009-01-12 01:39:48

mekwall

Newbie forum? Hehe, I didn't know that compiling git packages with abs would be a newbie thing smile

Well, as you can see in my xorg.conf, I've disabled hotplugging, so it shouldn't ignore my configuration. Did I miss somthing on that wiki page? Because according to what I've found out, adding the Server Flag option "AutoAddDevices" set to false, should be enough to disable hotplugging.

I do have evdev installed already, but I only use it for my usb mouse, which is working without any problems. Also my synaptics touchpad is working correctly (which means it is read and configured from xorg.conf).

Last edited by mekwall (2009-01-12 01:40:26)

#4 2009-01-12 01:40:45

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I presume you won't jump to testing straight away coming from Ubuntu, so I will move this. If you *are* running testing please state so explicitly in your post so we can set things straight (again tongue). The testing forum is intended for people using that repository. If you build a package using git or whatever version control or snapshot thingy out there and it is *not* in the testing repository (as in: the exact same version you are using) then it is not a testing problem. That is, after all, why it says [Testing] Repo Forum.

While the fact you use unstable stuff might be related to your problem, it is more probable the shift from Xorg.conf-based device handling to HAL-based device handling with the latest Xorg is the culprit smile. These are things Ubuntu will obscure easily, to not bother the user (or it might not have the latest Xorg yet alltogether, I don't keep in touch with Ubuntu's packages).

As for the solution, mektub pointed you to it. As for your other problems: consult the wiki and the Acer Aspire One thread in these forums, be sure to read the beginner's guide in the wiki too, so you have some background on how things work in Arch (and how we expect you to use it; the package manager is not the only thing that sets Ubuntu apart from Arch).

Also - I think mektub was relating to your fresh appearance on the forums rather than to your skill level. He can't see that, he can see the date on which you joined wink.

Have fun, and welcome to Arch smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-01-12 14:00:02

mekwall

Hello! Thanks for a well detailed explaination and pointing me in the right direction, seems I'm going to like this forum! smile I think I know more about Archlinux then I know of Ubuntu tbh. I only installed Ubuntu because I was lazy... If you want to learn linux, then Ubuntu isn't really the best distro to use... I've actually used Gentoo much more then I've used Ubuntu, but that was a couple of years ago... wink

B wrote:

it is more probable the shift from Xorg.conf-based device handling to HAL-based device handling with the latest Xorg is the culprit smile

Yeah, that's what I've figured out so far. But shouldn't "AutoAddDevices" set to false in server flags work around that? And yes I've been consulting the wiki on all those topics you mentioned... So either I missed something or there isn't anything to be found regarding my issue. smile

Regarding mektub, I know he was only trying to help, but I don't really consider myself a newbie even though I'm pretty new to Archlinux and a new face on these forums.

Last edited by mekwall (2009-01-12 14:01:53)

#6 2009-01-12 14:04:22

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

There have been popping up quite a few topics on the new Xorg input device handling, you might want to check them for inspiration.

Forum search on Xorg HAL input device

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer