You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 17:54:07

Jovus

Help with the new E17?

Hello,

I've recently updated to the new e17-svn package (38347-1), and for some reason I am unable to divine, it refuses to start through entrance, or through any other way other than typing 'xinit enlightenment_start' at terminal, which has me really confused. Further, it seems to initialize through xterm:

|-login---bash---xinit-+-X
     |                      `-xterm---enlightenment-+-enlightenment_f

which leaves an open xterm window on the desktop when it starts (one that, obviously, cannot be closed, or the entire tree is terminated).

Xterm is version 239-1. Finally, I cannot find any indication of what is going on in any of my e17 config files or in the Xorg logfile. Xorg starts up just fine and dandy when I start it by itself, as does Entrance - neither one can initiate E17, though.

All of my packages are repo-standard. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong, or know where I can find more information on the problem?

#2 2009-01-13 18:03:53

bgc1954

Re: Help with the new E17?

Do you have an .xinitrc file in your home directory?  I can't recall off the top of my head if entrance is like slim but if it is then you need an .xinitrc file which looks something like this:

#! /bin/sh
#~/.xinitrc file

exec enlightenment_start

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2009-01-13 18:48:55

pressh
Developer/TU

It may just be that the current version of entrance does not work, I've seen a couple of posts about it the last week or so. I'll update the e17 packages later today, or you can try recompiling entrance via abs yourself.

or you can do what bgc1954 said until the package is updated, though I'm not sure of you need to put 'exec' before 'enlightenment_start' or not.

#4 2009-01-14 00:54:22

Jovus

Well, this didn't help directly (no doubt through no fault of your own; either you're right and the package is broken or I'm unable to communicate the problem efficiently), but I've switched to slim, which I've ended up liking better than Entrance after about five minutes.

Board footer