You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 21:39:07

archnildon

errors while installing/upgrading

Are these error important? What causes them?

( 3/98) upgrading bash                              [####################################################################################] 100%
error: scriptlet failed to execute correctly                                                                                                   
( 4/98) upgrading kernel-headers                    [####################################################################################] 100%
(16/98) upgrading shadow                            [####################################################################################] 100%
Fixing gshadow file ...                                                                                                                        
no matching group file entry in /etc/gshadow                                                                                                   
add group 'uucp' in /etc/gshadow ?grpck: the files have been updated                                                                           
error: scriptlet failed to execute correctly                                                                                                   
(17/98) upgrading coreutils                         [####################################################################################] 100%

Last edited by archnildon (2009-01-13 21:39:27)

#2 2009-01-15 00:46:42

Chrysalis

Re: errors while installing/upgrading

I've never seen this error before and today i keep getting it too with some packages i built from abs and kdemod (2 from kdegames, gnupg2 and something else i forgot). Comparing install scripts from [extra] gnupg2 with the one i built and the only difference i can see is that i am using fakeroot 1.11.4, [extra] was built with 1.10.1. I think something is borked with pacman/makepkg. Ill try building with old pacman when i get a chance and not installing anything untill i figure this out.

#3 2009-01-15 05:11:07

Chrysalis

Well, it seems the problem is with having !docs in makepkg.conf so pacman spits that error because the install script cant find those files to add to info/dir.

Is this new with pacman 3.2.2? It never complained before.

DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,share/}{info,doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{info,doc,gtk-doc})

If the devs plan to add info files to all packages now then maybe remove info from the above line so info files can be treated as man files? That would do it right? I dont want to uncomment !docs ;/

Edit: There must be a better way to add info files then to remove /usr/share/info/dir and use install scripts for every single package. And if there isnt maybe we should start thinking of automating it with makepkg/pacman. It cant be good for pkg maintainers and abs considering arch is supposed to be KISS.

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-01-15 05:44:58)

#4 2009-01-15 08:52:39

shining
Pacman Developer

Chrysalis wrote:

Well, it seems the problem is with having !docs in makepkg.conf so pacman spits that error because the install script cant find those files to add to info/dir.

Is this new with pacman 3.2.2? It never complained before.

DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,share/}{info,doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{info,doc,gtk-doc})

If the devs plan to add info files to all packages now then maybe remove info from the above line so info files can be treated as man files? That would do it right? I dont want to uncomment !docs ;/

Edit: There must be a better way to add info files then to remove /usr/share/info/dir and use install scripts for every single package. And if there isnt maybe we should start thinking of automating it with makepkg/pacman. It cant be good for pkg maintainers and abs considering arch is supposed to be KISS.

This will be all taken care of in the future major pacman release (3.3) but this could be far away tongue
Anyway, here is how makepkg.conf will look like :

#-- Manual (man and info) directories to compress (if option set correctly above)
MAN_DIRS=({usr{,/local}{,/share},opt/*}/{man,info})
#-- Doc directories to remove (if option set correctly above)
DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,share/}{doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{doc,gtk-doc})
#-- Files to be removed from all packages
PURGE_TARGETS=(usr/{,share}/info/dir .packlist *.pod)

So info pages will now be treated and compressed like man pages. !docs will never remove man of info pages, only the other docs (doc, gtk-doc).
Also the /usr/share/info/dir file will be automatically removed on packaging.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2009-01-15 11:57:43

Wintershade
Website

shining wrote:

but this could be far away tongue

Ok, so what do we do until then? Just ignore the error message about the install scriptlets? Or what?
I mean, it was a bummer to see pacman say error yesterday when I updated bash and today when I tried to install my custom compiled glibc sad

Any useful info on this matter will be much appreciated.
edit: I've noticed that repetitive hammering on a single install ultimately results in an installation without errors reported.
E.g. I've reinstalled my glibc like six times, and in the 6th try, the installation went through, and it didn't report any errors.
Got an idea to try hammering since the error appeared to come up randomly, once it came up before conflicts check, once after the conflicts check, and once after the install itself (in a very variable order). What gives?

P.S. Forgive my possible rudeness (no offense to anyone intended), but how did this version of pacman find its way into the stable repository anyway?

Last edited by Wintershade (2009-01-15 12:03:41)

Only the best is good enough.

#6 2009-01-15 12:27:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

This is actually nothing directly to do with the docs flag. It is all to do with post_install scripts exiting with an error conditions.

The bash problems is that the install file is wrong.  It tries to add /usr/share/info/bash.info.gz to the info index but that file actually does not exsit...  only /usr/share/info/bash.info does.  Bug report material. (FS#12800)

The shadow one is slightly more difficult for me to understand.  When shadow is install, grpck is run to check the integrity of the group files.  It appears that failed for some reason...

@Wintershade: repeatedly installing bash won't fix the error.  If the error didn't show, then that is a bug.  And as my description should show, this is nothing to do with pacman being buggy.  It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

#7 2009-01-15 13:21:35

Wintershade
Website

Ok, so what to do? Any workarounds at the moment?

#8 2009-01-15 13:28:46

shining
Pacman Developer

Wintershade wrote:

P.S. Forgive my possible rudeness (no offense to anyone intended), but how did this version of pacman find its way into the stable repository anyway?

What annoys me is that this claim is completely unjustified and wrong.
I was simply answering your valid concerns about info pages handling in pacman/makepkg, which will be improved in the next version.
I never said this has anything to do with the original error...

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#9 2009-01-15 13:32:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

Wintershade wrote:

Ok, so what to do? Any workarounds at the moment?

Ignore it.  Adding the bash info files to the index really does not matter at all.

#10 2009-01-15 15:00:16

Wintershade
Website

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks! smile

#11 2009-01-15 15:37:29

Chrysalis

What about removing info from DOC_DIRS as i suggested above? That would technically solve the problem meanwhile wouldnt it?

Ignoring the error is all good, but its not like the error says 'info files cant be found', so i gotta debug every package to make sure its the info files that it complains about before i can ignore it.

#12 2009-01-15 15:44:02

Allan
Pacman
Website

As shining pointed out, info files will be handled more like man pages when pacman-3.3 comes out (in terms of automatic compression).  But we will still need to add them to the /usr/share/info/dir file using a post install script.  So removing them from DOC_DIRS really achieves nothing...  Maybe if someone codes hooks into pacman at some stage, this post install stuff for info pages can be handled automatically.

But that is really beside the point...  packages should not give errors about their post install scripts failing.  File bug reports, just like I did for the bash bug.  It is the only way to get things fixed.

The other Arch example you give of gnupg2 was a file conflict, so again a completely different error which is not solved by your suggestion.  A bug report was filed and the package is now fixed.  Complain about kdemod packages to the kdemod team.

#13 2009-01-15 21:02:49

Chrysalis

I am talking about ABS, what triggers it... 'info' in DOC_DIRS with !docs. So push an update that removes 'info' from DOC_DIRS untill 3.3.

#14 2009-01-15 21:21:22

shining
Pacman Developer

Chrysalis wrote:

What about removing info from DOC_DIRS as i suggested above? That would technically solve the problem meanwhile wouldnt it?

That would not solve any problems...
As Allan tried to explain, the real problem here is wrong scriptlets. Only 2 problematic scriptlets were reported here. The bash one, and Allan reported a bug for it. It will be fixed.
And the shadow one, I assume you reported a bug for it? Please give a link, it could be useful for others reading this thread.

#15 2009-01-16 01:23:23

Chrysalis

I know that. Try to build any package with install script and !docs from abs and youll see what i am talking about.

#16 2009-01-16 01:26:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

Well, if you are rebuilding your own packages with !docs, you can just remove info from the DOC_DIRS yourself.  You have already altered your makepkg.conf, so I am sure you can do it again...

#17 2009-01-16 03:21:19

Chrysalis

OK, lets hope that i am the only one who has !docs in makepkg.conf and pretend everything is fine... this is so cool!

#18 2009-01-16 04:26:07

Allan
Pacman
Website

Or lets pretend that everyone who thinks the are competent enough to recompile their packages with different makepkg configuration, actually is...

#19 2009-01-16 13:45:22

shining
Pacman Developer

I think the problem here is a wrong expectation : scriptlets are not going to work out properly with non-default makepkg options. This is simply impossible to support in a general way.
If you do that, you have to fix scriptlets, or find other workarounds.

A related note : to be on the safe side, all PKGBUILDs contributor should be using the default makepkg options, and only use non-default options inside the PKGBUILD.
Otherwise, they should at least be careful that their packages and scriptlets are going to work correctly for the normal users rebuilding with default makepkg options. But the users who don't are on their own smile

#20 2009-01-16 18:26:01

Chrysalis

shining wrote:

scriptlets are not going to work out properly with non-default makepkg options. This is simply impossible to support in a general way.

But, non-default options *work* with scripts if !docs doesn't strip 'info' files which as you said would be implemented down the line in pacman 3.3 anyway.
DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,share/}{doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{doc,gtk-doc})

I think ive made my point like 20 times over and noone wants to explain why they dont want to do it. It would have been fixed by now if poeple were interested so i am done.

#21 2009-01-18 08:53:08

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@archnildon If you still have not fixed your problem then please contact me smile

Mr Green

Board footer