You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 21:55:15

KaoDome

[SOLVED] Arch Kernel Configuration

Hi, I'd like to compile recompile the Kernel but I would like to know wich are the default configuration settings that the compiled kernel26 of the core repository has. I would like to tweak some things but starting from that configuration not from the defaul Kernel configuration found in www.kernel.org.

I would like to know it ABS could be used to do it, or if I can get a configuration file somewhere and use it with ABS.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by KaoDome (2009-01-14 00:24:56)

#2 2009-01-13 21:56:23

haxit
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Kernel Configuration

ABS can be used to do it. The kernel  pkg is under /var/abs/core/kernel26.
Just copy that dir to anywhere on your computer and run makepkg -c.

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#3 2009-01-13 22:16:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

KaoDome wrote:

Hi, I'd like to compile recompile the Kernel but I would like to know wich are the default configuration settings that the compiled kernel26 of the core repository has. I would like to tweak some things but starting from that configuration not from the defaul Kernel configuration found in www.kernel.org.

I would like to know it ABS could be used to do it, or if I can get a configuration file somewhere and use it with ABS.

Thank you very much.

Every arch kernel has its configuration dumped in /boot/kconfig26 if I'm not mistaken. If not, you can always do

zcat /proc/config.gz

which will show you the kernel config in its full glory wink. ABS, imho, is a last resort if you need info on the config. Those things I mentioned are always there, abs needs to be synced to be up to date wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2009-01-13 22:35:51

KaoDome

Ok thank you very much! I've found the configuration within the ABS package. The I can edit it running make menuconfig (or the GUI configurator) and then save the edited file as config (in my case, if it was a x84_64 it would be config.x86_64.

I had to change the checksum for that file in the PKGBUILD file in order to it to work.

It's now compiling!

Another question... Does it uses the CFLAGS defined in /etc/makepkg.conf when compiling the Kernel? I hope so...

Once more, thank you very much for all!

#5 2009-01-13 23:21:01

methuselah

KaoDome wrote:

Ok thank you very much! I've found the configuration within the ABS package. The I can edit it running make menuconfig (or the GUI configurator) and then save the edited file as config (in my case, if it was a x84_64 it would be config.x86_64.

I had to change the checksum for that file in the PKGBUILD file in order to it to work.

It's now compiling!

Another question... Does it uses the CFLAGS defined in /etc/makepkg.conf when compiling the Kernel? I hope so...

Once more, thank you very much for all!

You can also use the ABS PKGBUILD, and add the "make menuconfig" option to be able to change the -ARCH settings.... then when you press exit it will save (and use) your newly created .config.

# load configuration
  make menuconfig
  # build!

So it will load the default -ARCH generic setup and then you can modify to your hardware specs.

My AMD64 300HZ -Os Low-Latency kernel:

$ uname -osrpmi
Linux 2.6.28-ARCHtestAMD x86_64 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Last edited by methuselah (2009-01-14 18:58:30)

#6 2009-01-14 00:03:24

Ranguvar

KaoDome wrote:

Does it uses the CFLAGS defined in /etc/makepkg.conf when compiling the Kernel?

Yes, with one exception - there is a kernel config option (usually, and best, left on) that forces using -Os, as it helps with the kernel.

#7 2009-01-14 00:24:17

KaoDome

Thank you very much for all of your help and replys!

The have been very usefull!

I'll mark the threat as solved.

Best regards.

Board footer